My name is Rob, and I can't stop buying bikes......

Think I might be slowly heading this way, and if I had a few more quid in the bank I'd be there already. If we're not counting just MTBs I have seven. Wowsers - only just realised that (although two of those are kiddies bikes, one is a slightly dodgy fold up, one a vintage trike that's in bits and the saracen doesn't have wheels yet). Help.... me.....

Ah if we can include "family" bikes , you know those that take up valuable garage space but never get ridden.....I can add another 5 taking me to 12 riders

18 riders and two frames here.......i dont even have a garage!.....help!.....droooowning!..... :D

Wow, it's been awhile since I've checked this thread. I didn't want to derail Rob's build, but it appears that this thread is becoming a group therapy session for obsessive compulsive retrobike addicts like myself. As much as I try to deny it, I now realize that I've become the male equivalent of a cat-lady; a well-meaning and kind-hearted soul that just can't stand to see a cat (or bike, in my case) go without a home, so I feel obligated to take it in. :LOL:

ez054098":1hiwliiz said:
Is that a Funk I see on the far left? That color looks familiar. :)

Yeah, it's a Funk. I'd say it's a candy purple over pearl color. It has a noticeable dent in the down tube, but it's still a structurally sound frame.

I saw it on Craigslist halfway across the U.S., and to convince the seller to sell to me, I offered him more than he was asking, plus eBay fees, plus Paypal fees, plus shipping fees, plus any packaging fees (although in this case, he took my advice to get a bike box for free at his local bike shop and package it himself). The seller's daughter had an eBay account that she had used maybe 5 times in the last 5 years to buy stuff, and I pretty much had to convince the both of them how safe it was to go thru eBay with a BIN price, and just call me when they were ready to list it. I itemized all the costs for them , and I pointed them to some links on eBay where they could educate themselves. I also informed them about how eBay feedback was a buyer's gauge as to how honest, caring, and trustworthy a seller was; that it was a seller's track record and eBay's equivalent of a Better Business Bureau rating. When they were ready to list, they called me, and I got online and told them I was ready for them to hit the "GO" button, and that bike was on eBay for all of 5 seconds when I used BIN to win that auction. I've bought about 6 or 8 bikes that way in the last few years, and I seriously doubt I would have been able to get them any other way. What better motivation could I give to a seller than more money?

cha-ching! (cash register sound)

$-D (dollar signs in the eyes emoticon)

Whoops! I just gave away one of my buying secrets! I guess that makes me an "Enabler"... ;)

Thunderchild":1hiwliiz said:
You are my E-stay hero. How much for the green ALIEN...
Sorry, the green one is a keeper; I just need to build it.

btw, it's been quite awhile since I've been anyone's hero, thanks. Hopefully being a hero doesn't mean that I have to wear a cape or a mask, or wear my red underwear on the outside of my blue tights like Superman does :LOL: I tried the hero thing before, but I forgot to wear my costume one time when I was on a beer run, so they kicked me out of the club. :cry: It's good to be back. :LOL:

Attachments

• Batman.jpg
    Batman.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 940
hi
it's a sickness for sure. i've bought 7 bikes this week. :LOL:
hmmmm.......starts to look bad when you see it in black and white.
and i still can't stop thinking about Incorrigible's alien's on ebay!!!!
i want that red one.
if Incorrigible is a cat lady. i'm a bike nympho. i can't say no. lol :LOL:
roy

3 GTs in near working order. 2 other GT frames.
Modern Carrera needs disk pads to be working.
Peugeot Glacier partially stripped (given to me ..'you're into bikes..').

2 BSOs heading for the tip (stripped of anything worth having).

2 bikes for the missus, neither working.

Note the only working cycle in the house is my 4 year old's Dawes...

Roll on Xmas hols, Santa is bringing some much needed spares ...

ez054098":1beqj2to said:
Is that a Funk I see on the far left? That color looks familiar. :)

Wow! I get it now; I just now found your Funk build page (I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake).

BEAUTIFUL bike you got there! Yeah, that's the same color. I was in the vault just yesterday and took a closer look at mine, and what I thought was a dent looks to be more like a gash where it must have bottomed out on a rock. It hasn't compromised the structure, but there's no way it will look as nice as yours unless I strip it, fill the gash with bondo, and then repaint and re-decal. Even then, I still need to find an original Funk fork (I got mine with a Rock Shox). I have a feeling that before I spend the $ to do all that, I'd probably just spend the $ on......what else?......more bikes!!

The Kona may be up for sale now to help out a friend who needs money to fix his car. PM me if interested... Might be in sale section after Christmas...

Back