My First Retrobikey

It's a 96/97 the final year for them (I think). Strangely I saw a grey ASR possibly a 140 a couple of days ago in grey.

Rampage was pretty close. I've stripped the bike and the date codes on both mechs have it as a 95.

Rear mech stripped, cleaned and rebuilt already. Front mech is soaking in degreaser overnight and the clamp will require repainting.

Drivetrain worse that I thought. The nice looking Altus chainset has very badly worn rings. The're the cheap type where all the rings are spot welded together, and the entire ensemble bolts onto the crank spider. Does anyone know if these are available to buy anywhere?

You'd be better off buying a used chainset. You can't easily replace them.

Yes, your right about the year, I have a magazine from november 1993 and my bike is in an article called "1st '94 MTB's", yours was the year after mine I believe. So yes, it's 1995.

You probably won't find them at your local LBS, but try looking on eBay. With some luck you'll soon find a decent second-hand set there. Perhaps even a NOS one, if someone actually has that.

Chopper1192":287qn4ed said:
Rampage was pretty close. I've stripped the bike and the date codes on both mechs have it as a 95.

Rear mech stripped, cleaned and rebuilt already. Front mech is soaking in degreaser overnight and the clamp will require repainting.

Drivetrain worse that I thought. The nice looking Altus chainset has very badly worn rings. The're the cheap type where all the rings are spot welded together, and the entire ensemble bolts onto the crank spider. Does anyone know if these are available to buy anywhere?

Date code only tell the year the mech was actually made, it could well be on the next and the next year and the .. until they changed the model number.

You'll also have the month, if it's near the end of the year then it's almost certainly the next years model.

Bikepedia doesn't have and ARS-120 for 1996, they are all multiples of 100 no entries for 1995 or 1997 for alpinestars.
Our catalogues and info on here are biased to the turn of the 90's

Get some pictures up.

Absoluteamundo re the date codes. Rear is Feb 95, front is Apr 95, so unless they've been sat on the shelf a long time, which is possible, 95 is best guess.

Yeah, Bikepedia was very disappointing! :LOL:

I'll take some snaps tomorrow, but at the moment it's a pile of separate components, with a small amount getting shinier by the day ;0

Back