My 1997 Rockhopper came home!

Apollo13

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

First (well second, actually) post and it's just an intro really to say hi and see what nuggets of wisdom are out there...

I appreciate this post is nothing without pics, but my bike is 99% identical to this one: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... rockhopper

I bought it brand new in 1997 from (sadly now defunct) Buxton Bikes in Derbyshire as an insurance payout replacement for my much loved but absolutely massive (22 or 23" as I recall) green Gary Fisher Advance, which had been nicked from University by a drug addict, but that's a story for another time.

My low-spec 20.5" Rockhopper is one of the last steel ones, and is dark blue. From new I had the shop fit bar ends and Shimano rapid fire shifters (can't recall what level - possibly STX or Alivio - will check) instead of the grip shifts, as I hated the feel of those things. Around 2001 the original cranks (Son of Strongarm?) came loose on the drive side and bruised the square drive. They would never stay tight after that, so they were ditched for some (no name? - another thing to check!) ones which are still on it. The Strongarms sadly went in the skip during a garage clearout some years later, so I'm now after some new ones! (First post has gone sniffing after a set)...

Time moved on and after falling off it at the 2004? Wight Diamond essentially due to lack of talent and wrist fatigue from the rigid forks, I bought myself a tidy 2004 Epic Comp which is still my main ride. I sold the Rockhopper to my then house-mate. He's since replaced it with a Commencal something or other, and has been neglecting the Rockhopper for some time.

This weekend a gathering of the clans took place around at his place and I took the Epic up for a Sunday hangover ride out. To skip to the end, I negotiated to buy back the Rockhopper for 65 notes and see about restoring the old girl. I've still got the owner's manual somewhere and my original Specialized computer (although it's broken and is missing the fitting kit).

It's pretty scratched up and showing some surface rust - just like Superstu's. All the original components are still there, save the cranks/rings and tyres, and as such I'm not sure whether to just clean it up and keep it nice and original, or do something more interesting with it. It's pretty unlikely I'll ride it off-road ever again, but who knows. I can't commute on it, as it's 31 miles each way and I'm too lazy!

I've a good idea of the original spec, having found some handy links online. My main concern is what to do with the beaten up finish... The paint is very thin (almost anodized looking) from the factory and if I got it powder coated, it would look too 'thick'. Can anyone suggest the best ways to get a factory quality repaint? And are ALL the decals/transfers still available?

Cheers all, and hello from Oxfordshire!
George

For decals try Gil_M from here: his website is http://www.thecycleshed.co.uk/ and you can contact him through there. Specialized dont do decals for resale, so no point trying them.

There are lots of places for a wet paint, Argos cycles in Bristol is great but the price is reflective.

Powedrcoat isnt always thick. It can look really good. My brother has the same frame (they are great arent they) powdercoated a cappuccino cream and it looks fantastic. Only cost £35 quid. Check it out: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... t=#1297101

Here are some pics. Sorry for the quality - they're mobile phone jobs:

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,577
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,577
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,577
  • Slide4.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,577
More pics...

Attachments

• Slide5.JPG
    Slide5.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 1,575
  • Slide6.JPG
    Slide6.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,575
  • Slide7.JPG
    Slide7.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,575
  • Slide8.JPG
    Slide8.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,575
nice to get an old friend back. enjoy the rebuild, whatever you decide to do

coomber - thanks for the tip - have emailed Gil. See what he says... My memories of this bike were that it climbed really well and I was sold on the concept of buying the best frame I could afford with inexpensive wear parts on it. With the bar ends and a Specialized cycle computer it was £420 new.

I looked at your brother's build - really cool and turned out very nice. Can't decide if that's the approach I want to take though, as it'd be nice to have a factory fresh looking machine too - just as I wheeled it out of the shop. One thing that would be nice is to get rid of the big paint dribble on the RH seat stay which has been there from new!

lewis1641 - thanks for the welcome. Hope to keep you all posted fairly often. To start with I'll be cleaning up what I've got, bit by bit, and taking stock. Then I can consider what needs replacing and whether or not to upgrade any componentry... I've made a start with the wheels this lunchtime at work.

Cheers. All hints and tips appreciated!

Autosol will get the aluminium parts looking minty. Its an abrasive polish, will get it looking like new - stem etc.

Either change the bolts if they are rusty on the components or wire brush any surface rust off them if they have any.

Change all the cables if I were you unless done recently as it'll massively improve shifting.

Otherwise build it as you see fit. They are lovely frames.

Great story and nice to see another frame like mine. Your rust looks less severe than mine albeit photos sometimes make frames look better than they are.

I know what you mean about worrying about powdercoat being too 'thick'. I'm not really sure of the alternatives but someone should be able to help.

I like the fact u have mostly original parts, not an option for me as I was given the frame only. Son of strongarm cranks come up quite often so u should be able to source some.

Watching this with obvious interest!

Back