My 1994 Norco Nitro

Smokinapankake

Dirt Disciple
So I picked this up last winter for a song. It needed some work but under the grime was a really nice bike. It looks to me like it has spent the majority of its life hanging in a garage. The Marzocchi XC51 forks were covered in oily grunge and were limp. After sourcing some new seals, the forks held air and were actually quite nice to ride. In the year since I got this back together I've made a few changes. I have, however, kept all the original parts in a box just in case I feel the urge to return it to as found condition. First few pics are the only ones I have left after cleaning it up and rebuilding the forks in January 2022:

January 2022 1.jpg
January 2022 2.jpg

Here it is today:

01-16-2023 1.jpg

It originally had some Araya RM-395 Team rims laced to some blue anodized Balance branded 8 speed hubs but I wasn't really loving them. So I built up some Araya RM-20's onto some LX 8 speed hubs. I like the look a lot better. Also upgraded the fork to a Judy T2 and some M750 V brakes. 9 speed Deore shifters and XT M739 levers round out the controls and make for a nice, journeyman like competence.

That purple paint with metallic flakes in it really pops in the sun. This will serve as my "Un-Kona" until I can find a nice mid 90's Kilauea or Explosif. It is a ton of fun to ride and has some interesting little features like a seatstay mounted pump peg and embossed, sculpted dropouts:
01-16-2023 6.jpg

I'm really enjoying this bike. I wonder if anyone could give me some more information about it and Norco?

Thanks for looking!

Nice one, I've been looking for a good TNT or Nitro for some time now. You used to see them here a lot BITD, not any more.

Nice. I had an early 90's Rampage for a bit, but it was too small so I stripped it and moved the frame on. It was a very nice ride.

Great bike 👍,
not sure if we have to compare this with a Kona, but just think that it will be hard to find a Kona in such nice condition almost without wear.

Norco are at least here in EU definilty also very rare, I would love to see more.

Also documenation like old brochures and tests are overall absolutely missing.

Back