Muddy Fox Monarch Pro 1993/4 - Much Purpleness Update

sylus":jyxcqtfm said:
anymore updates on how this build developed

No pictures at present but it has gone through a bit of a change about.

New wheels, stem & seapost - thinking drive chain upgrades next but this was supposed to be a budget build :roll:

Re:

rgsbates":kl7z2tp8 said:
i found a purple monarch team dumped outside a block of flats the other day.

grabbed it for the dmr platforms, but seriously considering throwing the parts in my shed at it for a cheap beater.

does anyone know any more about them?

Just seen this, I bought one in about '94 I think with some of my redundancy payout.

It was a bit heavy with low end Shimano gear but it rode well enough. I used it for trail riding on and around the Ridgeway and for my first Polaris in Snowdonia.

I sold it in '97 to fund a LTS.

Did you keep yours?

Well done, its a lovely build and all put back correctly.

Shame the saddles squint ;) Will you not slide off :LOL:

Re:

Hi. A bit of a rebirth for the original post.

I have just rebuilt what I believed was a '94 Monarch Pro. Or at least that was how it was badged up. Looked identical to the frame in the first post yet the noodle for the canti brakes is on the opposite side of the frame.

My other point though is now almost complete it does not feel particularly light despite having the following:

Thomson stem (the only modern bit)
Original rigid forks
Diacompe 998 cantis with Suntour levers
Xtr front and Xt rear mechs. DX thumshifters.
Suntour XC Pro chainset and WTB greaseguard bottom bracket.
XT hubs with Mavic 231 rims.

Maybe need to weigh it as perhaps it only feels weighty compared to my Planet X Pro carbon that I have been riding lately? Wish I knew how to get some pictures from my phone onto here?

Re:

Further update if anyone is actually still reading this thread.

The actual guy that designed this frame has been in contact with me. He was not even aware that the frame had gone into production as Muddy Fox had gone under so he had left prior to it being bought out, and then his design being produced. Bloody cheek of some people. (whoever nicked his design).
Pictures of bike as it is now can be seen on Facebook UK Mountain Bike Golden Era 80 and 90. I wish I could be arsed with uploading them here.

I am, just had an email to notify me of a post.

Muddyfox being a tange builder would likely have continued to use tange tubing. A bike like this is probably made from prestige tubing, unless there is anything on the frame marking it as anything else. It’s only a guess but for a zingy steel frame made in the Far East it’s highly likely.

Carl

Back