mtb rear mech compatibility

tufty":2j78nt9a said:
The bike I'm thinking about modifying is a '90s Bertin "Course" with a Vitus 999 lugged steel frame. Nothing to write home about, but the frame fits me. I'm currently thinking compact double up front as a first step, keeping an option on an MTB derailleur and cassette in the rear if necessary.

It's probably time to split out the vintage road stuff to pay for it...

If you don't care about being period correct, but want it to look right you could slap a velo orange crankset on it - last I looked they were a smoking deal and look the part. That would get you a sub-compact crank too 48x34 or something along those lines. You might spin out on the flats/downhill depending on your rear cluster or it might be just right.

dirttorpedo":15l8ygas said:
If you don't care about being period correct, but want it to look right you could slap a velo orange crankset on it - last I looked they were a smoking deal and look the part. That would get you a sub-compact crank too 48x34 or something along those lines. You might spin out on the flats/downhill depending on your rear cluster or it might be just right.
Oh, they do look rather nice, and 48-34 with an 11T smallest cog would give me more range up and down than I currently have even without going to something stupid like a megarange cassette.

The "drillium" model looks a lot like my SR Apex chainset.

Back