Moving advice

jonnyboy666":2r05y01o said:
rent a container and have it shipped by sea, not as much as you'd think, a friend did it from europe to NZ a few years ago.

Thank's, that's what I was thinking, however I don't have much experience so it's gonna take alot of looking into before I make the decision. Number one option at the mo :D

Kestonian":3d8zjo1p said:
My top tips, in this order

1. Pay someone else to do the packing. Our 4 bed house took 8 guys 2 days to pack up. They worked solid.
2. Ship early and go on holiday for as long as you can manage to reduce time spent without your stuff.
3. Throw stuff away. Be ruthless.
4. Sit down when they tell you how much it will cost to ship your pets.
5. Make sure the answer to the question "Where are the spare car keys?" is not "In one of (175) boxes" 10 minutes before someone comes round to buy your car.

Oh, final tip. Air freight can be cheaper than excess baggage for the necessities. Unless you discover you have 240kg baggage allowance courtesy of your frequent flyer royalty status; then you can just turn up with 17 bags and enjoy the look on the faces of the people at check in :)

Sound advice, I will be having the pro's do the packing as that's the easiest way to insure ;)

Pyro Tim":33xwkqho said:
Cheaper to use a line container, as renting can be expensive. Suggest you book it through a personal effects removals / forwarder company as they will be a one stop shop, and most normal forwarders refuse personal effects, or sub them out. They will likely make use of the lines container anyway. Denmark to Canada will take 2-3 weeks by sea. I agree about getting pros to pack it, as you can also hold them liable for any damage. Insurance is also more likely to pay up no questions asked if packed by pros. Make sure you are aware of regulations as to what you can and can't take to the destination country. Read the ts and cs of the quote, and make sure it includes delivery, and customs clearance.

Thank's Tim, very good advice, especially reading the small print
All new to me so don't wanna get screwed over ;)

dyna-ti":ze1rioks said:
jonnyboy666":ze1rioks said:
rent a container and have it shipped by sea, not as much as you'd think, a friend did it from europe to NZ a few years ago.

Probably the best if not cheapest method and used by people emigrating almost as a rule. Advice i think is to send it on ahead so you are there when it arrives or just after,whatever would be easiest/best.

Unless of course it washes up on some English beach ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Ha! If it did wash up on English shore's I would hope that some lucky Retrobiker would be the one who found it! It would certainly be their lucky day! :LOL:

Pyro Tim":20hqzqlz said:
Canuck, if you want me to check things over for you, just pm me. I know all the tricks

Thank's Tim, your a diamond mate! I may just drop you a line if I get bogged down in the detail's ;)

How did you find living in Denmark?

I was there a while, I actually miss it somewhat.

The Danes are a very special people.

Hasten to add so are the Canadians, as plenty of my relatives are such!

Back