Mountain Mayhem 'Spare parts' Ridgeback

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Howdy All.

Retro Spud Practically FORCED me to sign up for Mayhem this year, and when I mentioned it to the missus, she remarked that I should take all my old 'Junk' and see if anyone wanted it.

...And then Pencilman77 super-generously offered a Ridgeback 702RS frame and fork for Karma.

A plan was formed.

I've often joked that I could build a bike from all the parts I have lying around, a thought it might be time. This is how she sits today;

I plan to put zero attention to detail into her. Parts will not match. Threads will not be chased. Parts will not be cleaned (beyond making them functional).

The tyres will be Charge Splashbacks, primarily to annoy Mr. Potato.

Spec so far;

Frame; Ridgeback 702 RS (actually pretty nice, albeit has seen plenty of action).
Fork; Marzocchi Bomber Z2
Drivetrain; primarily XT 737.
Wheels; Coda/Hugi Hubs, Mavic 230 Rims
Saddle; Tattered Flite Alpes.
Chain; Something I found in my Stash, it's 9 speed, and roughly the right length
Stem; a nice Short Kore
Handle bars; Club roost
Headset; a notchy old Diacomp, missing a few bearings
BB; UN5? Definitely the wrong length for the crankset.

The highlights so far;
Mismatching valves, one presta, one Schrader.
The GLORIOUSLY LOUD hugi rear hub
20 mins with a wire brush to remove enough rust to actually get the BB in
Surgically straightening the mech hanger with a BF adjustable spanner

The bad news;

I had to buy a seatpost, as it's a rediculous 29.2 or summat.

Next step is decide on brakes... Matching XT Vee brakes, A very tidy set of maguras, or a very UNtidy mismatched set of maguras.

If anyone has a problem with any of the parts, send me a replacement :)

Re:

:D Always keen to have a good crowd at Mayhem ...... you know me - Everyone welcome !

Now I know over the years I’ve upset a few folk with my disparaging remarks about bikes shod with black walled tyres in BOTM, However I didn’t know that I’d been vocal enough to gain a reputation, certainly for anyone to take note about my adject loathing of Charge Splashbacks :shock:

Despite the nastiness of your tyre choice :LOL: I’m digging the ethos of this build.

Re:

Just being nosey here, but do you know the frame’s history?

I bought an identical one (it is a 705 RS), same size with a bent hanger which had a full XTR groupset. I then put the XTR on my Explosif and Karma’d the frameset to LGF.

If it is the same, it is nice to see it being fixed up!

SP

I don't think it's the same one; Pencilman77 bought it with full LX for the groupset (the LX & XTR models shared the same frame I believe?), then Karma'd the frame to me (thanks Buddy!).

Looks like a decent old frame TBH.

My_Teenage_Self":mppo9a8j said:
I don't think it's the same one; Pencilman77 bought it with full LX for the groupset (the LX & XTR models shared the same frame I believe?), then Karma'd the frame to me (thanks Buddy!).

Looks like a decent old frame TBH.

I'm glad the frame has a new lease of life!

Its definitely not the same frame, I bought it super cheap from a lady in Southampton, her son had used and abused it from brand new.

It's alive!

Put my pretty Maguras on it, because, Maguras!! Didn't cut the hoses to the right length though, can't be bothered to bleed them for this bike. A set of gripshift x-rays finished it off.

I didn't have enough cable outer lying around, luckily a cog-hog filled the gap to the rear mech.

I then took it for a hack, and blimey, it rides pretty well!!

Less than 3 weeks to mayhem, and I now have one ride-able bike... :facepalm: :facepalm:

Shakedown ride this morning.

All was going so well...

PTSSSSCCHHHHFFFooooooooooof.

Fork seal blew. Oil everywhere.

Chances of getting 30mm fork seals before thursday...?

:(

Back