Mountain Klein - Remember this one?

pinguwin":3an2gs3h said:
American, during its heyday, was a brand local to me. They were just up the road about 35 miles and were very popular in our area. I've been to the factory and they showed me around. So, I've seen more than a few of them. As to the suggestion that someone BITD would have filed the welds, in the 22 years I've known of Americans, I've have never seen one, not a single one, (de)filed like that.

I've had difficulty understanding this thread, but two things were hiding in plain sight and it was at the beginning, made me understand:

the stem is 'American' never heard of that maker but looks pretty cool - Forks have Spinergy stamped/forged into the drop outs

Well when I've got a bit of time I'll trawl through your past posts shall I, won't find anything wrong will I?

What an absolute tit you are. I can take most things in good spirit but not you

Never seen it done before? Good!

If this was a car group, this would be similar....

5818004574_e76a1540a8_b.jpg

OP: I was shopping on craigslist and found this interesting car called a Plymouth SupermanBird. I made a modification or two.

Person2: Wow, that's a really imaginative approach to this car. Good job!

Person3: But....you chopped it off, I mean it's what makes it is.

Person4: Hey #3, think big, be imaginative. It's the only one like it now. OP, great of you thinking outside the box.

Hardly! Talk about exageration and hyperbole

It is a stem - not attatched to an 'American' frame, where it would have made sense

You don't like it, fine, good, even, comment with your opinion if you wish just don't came along dropping cr@p on me

hydorah, I might be wrong, but I don't think pingwuin is criticizing, he is famously the owner of a KLEIN that has, let's just say 'unusual' custom paint. I think he might be applauding your free thinking. Of course, if he's not he's just being a hypocrite.

In my opinion the owner of a Plymouth Superbird would be perfectly enttled to chop it about in any way he sees fit. According to wikipedia, there are over 1000 in existence; it's no Bugatti Royale. And according to pinguwin, these stems were 'very popular' when new - quite a few must have survived; it's hardly an irreplaceable cultural artefact.

Now, let's just hope the chap who's dug his Orange Formula out of the garage doesn't get any ideas...

;)

mechagouki":1kh7v3g2 said:
hydorah, I might be wrong, but I don't think pingwuin is criticizing, he is famously the owner of a KLEIN that has, let's just say 'unusual' custom paint. I think he might be applauding your free thinking. Of course, if he's not he's just being a hypocrite.

Haha! That's fabulously put, you've certainly got irony down to an art

I'm trying to build the bike that I want to see - and ride

I'd like to see his Klein though

pinguwin":1yyj149i said:

No, not even close.

The wing on the superbird is THE stand out feature.

For a Klein it's predominately the paintwork (closely followed by the internal routing and square chainstays).

The stem is not the stand out feature.

As already discussed, the opinion is to keep the paintwork which, bar some touch ups, is being followed. Therefore it's keeping the stand-out feature.

Gotta love opinions eh? ;)

al-onestare":2kcg1ukl said:
pinguwin":2kcg1ukl said:

No, not even close.

The wing on the superbird is THE stand out feature.

For a Klein it's predominately the paintwork (closely followed by the internal routing and square chainstays).

The stem is not the stand out feature.

As already discussed, the opinion is to keep the paintwork which, bar some touch ups, is being followed. Therefore it's keeping the stand-out feature.

Gotta love opinions eh? ;)

Absolutely! But the reason Penguwin went crazy is 'cos the stem isn't Klein it's 'American' somehow fitted to this Klein as received by me, so being me, and it being mine, I've Kleinised it and then mirror polished it

But this smoothing of all the welds means it's barely recognisable as being an 'American'

With that in mind I haven't decalled it as being American - It's my stem

I considered an MC1 but it's too modern and I don't want flat bars, the American stem has massive welds which could be smoothed to progressive curves with touching any tube, so game on

They're not massively rare, but it is different object now, that is for sure

Back