Mountain Klein - Remember this one?

Regarding the American stem (not the Klein frame).

My analogy would be:

find a Hetchins with some of the beautiful lug work they are known for (Hetchins not rare at all, plenty of these around the UK right. I have seen others on Ebay so not all that tough to find). Take a file to the beautiful lugwork and smooth the whole thing out (no need for putty). You will have one unique looking Hetchins when you are done. No doubt as you have already shown with your filing skills, it will look nice when complete.

Probably can make the frame
look fillet brazed if you take your time..

I appreciate, what your saying, really i do, i as much as anybody, appreciate sumthing of quality, and the potential history it holds.

Personally i dont think its fair to compare a frame to a handlebar stem though, afterall he didnt take a file to the frame...? :?

pinguwin":35pcybrb said:
American, during its heyday, was a brand local to me. They were just up the road about 35 miles and were very popular in our area. I've been to the factory and they showed me around. So, I've seen more than a few of them. As to the suggestion that someone BITD would have filed the welds, in the 22 years I've known of Americans, I've have never seen one, not a single one, (de)filed like that.

I've had difficulty understanding this thread, but two things were hiding in plain sight and it was at the beginning, made me understand:

the stem is 'American' never heard of that maker but looks pretty cool - Forks have Spinergy stamped/forged into the drop outs

I live a mile away from the old X-lite factory and often used to loiter around there in my youth. I saved up and bought a seatpost from there, which I still have even though it cracked years ago.
I cut it down to a length that suited me as soon as I got it home, because it was mine to do with as I saw fit.
If you're so concerned about the fate of American stems around the globe, why not buy them all up to prevent such disgraceful behaviour as doing what you like to what is yours :roll:

Great build Hydrorah. Looking forward to seeing it being ridden and enjoyed

More analogies! My god! You guys are hijacking my build thread

Fancy lugwork VS Oversized welds? You guys obviously haven't considered that the welds could be ground down further and re-welded, never worth it in terms of time and money, of course, but it'd look like a museum piece then. Making massive welds with a wide bead is no art form, apprentices do it with ease

However, I'm not going around claiming I've improved upon the factory item's cosmetics, am I? No, although if you go back through the pics you'll see I had a very dilapidated item, no museum piece that's for sure, I've made it different. The way I want it to be

Mind you, the stem bolt weighed a friggin' ton and was at least two inches longer than it needed to be, so in that respect, I have improved it

Just sit back and watch the build will it look cool? Will it look awful? That's the judgement point - this stem thing really is just a band wagon

I like Makster's idea though:) Maybe you'll want to rescue this one and get it restored, but what could you trade me? What light tubular stem from back in the day has this look???

I'm prepared to be educated on this score, seriously I'm not joking, show me alternatives

"I'm prepared to be educated on this score, seriously I'm not joking, show me alternatives"

For starters I believe that American stem is a few years too new for your Mountain Klein.

To be proper for your early Mountain Klein era is a bit limiting (welcome to the mid 80's). How about a fillet brazed Salsa stem.

Yes it is just a silly stem and who really cares, but using that analogy, all this forum is about is silly bicycles and who really cares. Per my silly analogy what are Hetchins known for? Beautiful lugwork, What are Americans known for? Beauty welds. That is all. Not sure how else to express it. You simply removed it's soul. ;)

Ductape":3mfn23eu said:
"I'm prepared to be educated on this score, seriously I'm not joking, show me alternatives"

For starters I believe that American stem is a few years too new for your Mountain Klein.

To be proper for your early Mountain Klein era is a bit limiting (welcome to the mid 80's). How about a fillet brazed Salsa stem.

Yes it is just a silly stem and who really cares, but using that analogy, all this forum is about is silly bicycles and who really cares. Per my silly analogy what are Hetchins known for? Beautiful lugwork, What are Americans known for? Beauty welds. That is all. Not sure how else to express it. You simply removed it's soul. ;)

Most analogies don't bear up to too much scrutiny

I should have specified aluminium, I love polished alloy, but yeah not a bad shot with Salsa

American beauty welds, yes, as has been said sooooo many times by riders of the bandwagon

Cool that you skirted round that it could be redone, even has the factory stamps on it, I have the original decal

But this stem is not in the context of an American frame

Soul??? Stem it's a stem, one of many, but yes we're all obviously mental so why not

I made two major mistakes in this thread

1) Disclosing what I had done
2) Not defending myself robustly in the first place and nipping all this rubbish in the bud

- Modding the stem? That was not a mistake and the more somebody tries to insist that I shouldn't have done it because of the offence to *their* values, the more value I derive from the fact that I have done it

- The damned thing looks jewel like, if a stem has soul this one does, but it's Klein-like

- Scroll back and take a look at it

I'll take your word for it on age, it's approximately old enough, and to be honest those bars are too new

But they are partially a private joke, black ano'd Orange SuperCross, nice bars 6061, butted - relatively thick in the middle and at the ends

De-ano'd no logos, but they're British - a bit of balance there

I have never told anyone what they could and couldn't do with their bikes. I have not advocated the police coming over and confiscating bike goodies that don't meet my approval. If someone posts something on a public forum, maybe, just maybe, it won't be a mutual masturbation society. If you want such a society, then why not set up a list and just post our approval by specifying a letter:

A) Wow! Amazing build. Keep them coming.
B) Fabulous! I like how the even-numbered spoke nipples match the handle bars and the odd-numbered ones match the brakes.
C)...

If I was assisting you with a build and you filed an American stem, I would just tell you that you were on your own for the rest of it. I've helped a number of people with their Klein builds and many times they have followed what I suggested and many times not but no one has mutilated the bike. Oh, and I've hardly "gone crazy", I just don't care for what you've done with some of the build. Credit to you for doing your best to keep the paint as is. As for the person who said, "why not buy them (American stems) all up"? Actually, I've been doing that. I picked up one last week (Thanks SS!) and it's a beauty. I've been getting every one that I can.

The welds on an American are really what make it unique. They are high quality bikes but many others were just as good. When I see a picture of an American, I can identify it by the welds without seeing dropouts or decals. Take the welds off an American really isn't any different than removing the spoiler from a Superbird. It's still a cool car but not the original. Oh, if you think any apprentice can lay down welds like that, you really haven't looked around very much or the bike industry has hired a bunch of monkeys without opposable thumbs.

Replace the stem bolt, sure, I’ve done so to an American stem that I have when the Allen bolt was getting rounded. Take an American stem or frame, paint it, anodize it, de-anodize it, polish it or brush it, it's all good. File the welds and you've stuffed it all up. As far as polishing it to a jewel-like finish, that part of the equation is far more Americanish than Kleinish. American offered polished, brushed and anodized frames. The anodized were polished before anodized. Their most popular finish was polished, then anodized, then brushed. So most of their items were like that frame in terms of surface finish. Klein may have sold a few polished items (I've not been able to confirm it) and if so, they were very few and very far between. Oh, and Ducttape is correct, that stem is much too new.

> But the reason Penguwin went crazy is 'cos the stem isn't Klein it's 'American' somehow fitted to this Klein

Uh...I have a Pinnacle Elite that...ummm....you should...you know....

5819227847_6193de21e4_z.jpg

As far as the person who says Kleins are just about paint. Bull. The people who rode them loved them for their ride and most Kleins I saw, had plenty of "patina". Ridden and raced hard. If Kleins are just about paint, why didn't some of the "custom" Trek-era Kleins generate the attention of the earlier models? The glow-in-the-dark bones model was every bit as wild as the earlier stuff and there were other highly unusual paint jobs. A 94 nightstorm will be much more highly desired than one from Trek era. Why is a single color blue Klein from 96 worth more than a koi colored from 97? It's not about paint. If to some it is about the paint, fine, that's not anyone I know.

but I don't think pingwuin is criticizing, he is famously the owner of a KLEIN that has, let's just say 'unusual' custom paint...he's just being a hypocrite.

I am criticizing. Anyone who looks even a little can find my bike. Here, I'll post some just in case you can't find it.

5819228917_32a6c638cd_b.jpg

5819229197_05de80ba00_b.jpg

I had a backfire-colored Attitude which was replaced, due to headset issues, by Klein without asking me which color I wanted in 96. One day the bike shop called me and said, "They didn't repair it, they replaced it." I didn't particularly like it and didn't ask for it. After a couple of years of hard riding and much patina later, it was repainted it. I would have repainted it when it was brand new but was saving $$ for travel. The bike is directly inspired from backfire and is far more that look of the Klein I actually chose years before.

So yeah, it's basically a backfire bike. Oh, yeah, the spots. They aren't Klein-like at all. Wait....

5819793728_4e8f7ba3bb.jpg

Remember those "custom" Trek-era Kleins mentioned above? So yes, Trek offered a limited edition spotted bike. The decals are a 100% deviation from the original. Hell if I'm going to pay for decals to put someone else’s name on a bike when I can create decals using a computer program that I've 100% written from scratch and a font that is 100% designed by me. So yes, I have repainted a Klein to get back to my original Klein. Hypocrite? Hardly.

the more somebody tries to insist that I shouldn't have done it because of the offence to *their* values, the more value I derive from the fact that I have done it

Then I hope you're having a good day (that sort of crapola sounds like my five-year old niece (on a bad day)).

Hey, just roll with it. If you don’t want people to possibly criticize you, don’t post. Heaps of people like my bike, some don't. Doesn't matter either way. You should hear what people say about my tights.

That's fine and an interesting read

As I already said:

"You don't like it, fine, good, even, comment with your opinion if you wish just don't came along dropping cr@p on me"

As for masturbatory, you just keep on posting, I also note the way having stated your opinion, you have not only continued to post bluff, you have attempted to negate everyone else's opinion

Take a break and have a think

Thanks for showing me those bikes, again interesting stuff

OK! You guys have got to see this!

Someone tipped me off saying they had seen an American Showbike (road) with smoothed welds and I should get on Mombat and dig around, see what I can find, so I did

- Found a smoothed roadie, picture was a scan not the best resolution

- I found a bonded beryllium (!) / aluminium lugged bike, beautiful and astonishing

Better yet, research wise, American offered bikes in either 'Show or Beauty Weld' or 'Smooth or Fill It Weld' (as they termed it) in production:

American.jpg

Here's a link to the scan on Mombat:

http://mombat.org/1991American3.jpg

I don't know if it was only roadies you could get smoothed, that's not stated anywhere, but they're smooth, they're mirror polished, they're American

Back