MOT failure rates

Nice to see the A3 up there!! :LOL:

I took Mrs. Crud's '03 A3 for a full service around september, working away alot and winter coming i said just service everything that needed doing, if it gets over £x amount phone me first.

I get a call saying the rear subframe bushes have gone and its an MOT failure, it will cost x amount

I thought thats expensive il get it done elsewhere.

in December with the mot being due i took it to the same garage, passed first time with no adviseries. I never did get the subframe bushes done

Whats all that about then? Trying to fleece me the first time or incompetent the second?

some points to note:

low mileage doesnt mean good condition - short journeys can really harm an engine by 'cold boring' which causes emission problems. short journeys result in poor engine mounts/ bushes and so on as the car doesnt physically get warm enough. cars laid up in between runs suffer from problems with components that dry out.

High mileage cars usually get serviced more - motorway mileage is best as there is very little stress on components

lewis1641":1pwtr2wm said:
forgot to mention, i hate statistics at the best of times but government statistics are in a league of their own, so say 23% of the uk

83.25% would agree with you.

The previous Taxi Compliance test garage tested my Passat and basically looked over their shoulder at it and passed it (lots of ticks in the boxes including the box for 'estate cars', mines a saloon). Whereas my mate's Mercedes taxi was failed due to the amber indicators being the wrong shade.

Bearing in mind a taxi test is around £200!

legrandefromage":25w2xht9 said:
High mileage cars usually get serviced more - motorway mileage is best as there is very little stress on components

Yup.

My old, old R reg Vectra 2.0 DI 16v for example. It had 150,000 miles on the clock when I sold it, and 50,000 of those I put on it given my 60 mile round trip to work and back up and down the A11.

5 years after I sold it and its still going strong as I see it most days. Must have 200,000+ on the clock now :shock:

my father in law is an MOT tester , so our car rarely fail as he fixes the problem first .

only one which failed was my P reg transit . It was so rusted underneath it would have cost more than £500 to fix . I put it on ebay as spare or repair and got £300 from a lithuanian who filled the back with others car parts and drove it all the way to lithuania . :shock:

cchris2lou":2nrki6hw said:
only one which failed was my P reg transit . It was so rusted underneath it would have cost more than £500 to fix . I put it on ebay as spare or repair and got £300 from a lithuanian who filled the back with others car parts and drove it all the way to lithuania . :shock:

:shock:

:LOL:

Tells you a lot about the ownership profiles of each car, but next to nothing about the cars themselves.

Had to take mine to a new garage last year and they failed it on three perfectly legal tyres.

Pickle":nh1m4j9f said:
cchris2lou":nh1m4j9f said:

:shock:

:LOL:

yes . the guy aslked me if the van would be ok to drive to lithuania . I reminded him it was sold as spare or repair . :LOL:

I also offered to do the paperwork . :roll:

I lovemy MOT tester. Cannot understand much of what he says- kinda like a Geordie Rocky due to his love of bare knuckle fighting. A typical MOT goes like this.....

MOTman- 'fum me wha yer bought nar like'

Me- Oh just the Jensen again

MOTman- oh futhat, no deeing that ald bastard. Isit still fooking mint?

Me- Yeah

MOTman- givus the chassis number then.

He then adds the details into the computor linked to the DVLA and sits and watches a Steven Segal film in the office for the next 45 minutes whilst dribbling. He then prints off the certificate and tells me 'yer gonna hava start putting bulbs back in yer fooking numberplate lights or yerl ger stopped by the bizzies yer knob'
What a bloke!

Back