Most influential bikes ever

Unlike some retrobikers here i like full spuspension. In this category, i would point
1)The San andreas : still alive today as are so many of its nephews, how many "non classic" frame paterns can boast such a long life and descendence?
2) The Trek Y : Proof that NOT only good designs are copied
3) Whatever bike brand put the Horst link on the map for the masses (i let the purist discuss this topic) has to be credited for one of the best, most used and abused suspension design (the new virtual point suspension crop, just being a extreme use of that same four bar linkage patern), as a side note non horst link Turners are one of this sickest joke in the recent mtb history IMHO
That's all full sus for tonight, let's go back to rigid steel (steel is real, i sure agree)

Have to agree with Fred on the San Andreas. All time classic that's still as good today as it was back then.

cjax":3d2jyk4j said:
Have to agree with Fred on the San Andreas. All time classic that's still as good today as it was back then.

You all know my views on suser. But the San Andreas is a full suser Classic.

Macmillan's Velocipede?
r3.jpg

The Safety Cycle?
r6.jpg

Where would we be without them?

The San andreas : still alive today as are so many of its nephews, how many "non classic" frame paterns can boast such a long life and descendence?

I'll 4th that!!

Joe Breeze built ten bikes in 1977-78 that were the first off-road balloon tire bikes built specifically for the sport, which at that time had not even been named.

Tom Ritchey built "MountainBikes," starting in 1979, that became the template for virtually all mountain bikes, both mass produced and hand made, for the next five or six years, and which also gave the name to the sport.

Until suspension arrived some 15 years later, no bikes built in the 20th Century have had as much influence on the industry as these two.

Back