Most despised feature on modern bikes

Why is there such a dislike of disc brakes?

They stop you much faster than rim brakes, they don't suffer in the wet & mud like rim brakes, they're a doddle to set up, if you buckle a wheel you can still ride your bike and use the brakes, the pads last ages compared to rim brakes....

Apart from the weight weenie side of things there are no downside to them (IMHO)

Andy B":1qwyhr9j said:
Why is there such a dislike of disc brakes?

They stop you much faster than rim brakes, they don't suffer in the wet & mud like rim brakes, they're a doddle to set up, if you buckle a wheel you can still ride your bike and use the brakes, the pads last ages compared to rim brakes....

Apart from the weight weenie side of things there are no downside to them (IMHO)

That's it they work (so I'm told). Doesn't that just take the fun away ? Knowing you can stop before the tree or the fact that the mud is what's there to stop you when you slide on your arse and not the brakes as there is no point in even trying the them other than for a grinding effect. :LOL:

Hydroforming. It's just plain fugly.

On the other hand, mountain bikes have steadily become less attractive since the Schwinn Excelsior, so I guess it's progress.

Si

Bendy downtube...like modern stumpy et al.
Apart from that I like disc brakes, wide bars and short stem...I also like V/Canti , narrow flat bars and longer stems...on the right bike.

Back