Mongoose Amplifier from 1993 (one of the first real full suspension bikes)

Ganimed

Devout Dirtbag
Hello

Today I wanna show you another bike from my collection of vintage bikes from the good old days... the Mongoose Amplifier with AMP fork by Horst Leitner. One of the first full suspension bikes in the early 90's.

I always loved the design of the Amplifier but in 1993 this bike was out of my price range as a poor student. But in 2003 I was able to finally get an Amplifier frame into my possession.

mongoose rahmen.jpg

I first mounted a red STM upsidedown suspension fork to the Amplifier but I was later able to find a NOS Mongoose labeled AMP suspension fork and changed it. I also changed the standard rear suspension damper against a red Risse Genesis damper. The Risse Genesis damper is much better as the standard damper that comes originally with the Amplifier.

KIF_0425.jpg
KIF_3097.JPG
KIF_3101.JPG
Hope you like it
Olli

Last edited:
I always liked these as well, they have very nice lines. How does it ride? Do you have a drive side photo to share?
To be honest, these bikes are a bit spongy. The rear end isn't particularly torsion-resistant and also not laterally stiff. But in easy terrain it works well and is not noticeable. But I like the look of it. To hell with lateral stiffness 😁
Mongoose Amplifier 93er.jpg
Regards,
Olli

Awesome, loved mine but ghost shifting due to the flex was a pain haha. Love the upside down forks!!!!!!

To be honest, these bikes are a bit spongy. The rear end isn't particularly torsion-resistant and also not laterally stiff. But in easy terrain it works well and is not noticeable. But I like the look of it. To hell with lateral stiffness 😁
View attachment 624974
Regards,
Olli
Thanks! You've got some nice parts on there also 👍. I'd always heard about the flex but like many of the 90s bikes we still ride I'd agree its probably tolerable for some light trail riding. This design if not mistaken can take credit for influencing active suspension designs still around today

I keep coming back to look at the pics. Think I might start hunting for one of these. I’ve got the forks already so I’m off to a good start.

Back