Modern Headsets!

Re: Re:

Rampage":gdtd01ly said:
twain":gdtd01ly said:
JamesM":gdtd01ly said:
I think the day of the press fit headset is nearing its end. What we need is headsets with cups that screw into the frame, that would be a good idea!!! :mrgreen: :LOL:

bit like hollowtech II bottom brackets then, but for your head tube :)
surely that can be done now? just thread your head tube yeah, screw 'em in & bobs your uncle ;)

It'll create all the problems of bearings wearing out very quick like the HT2 did.
So it'll probably happen.

Again, loads of different headset standards means the small bike shops have to keep all the different types of headset to keep everyone happy.

I was taking the piss!!! ;)

greencat":326kr3gm said:
Personally, I'm not seeing a shortage of good quality "normal" sized headsets at the moment. But if there were, and also sufficient latent demand, then I'm sure new producers would emerge.

If you look at the current availability of stuff like 1" threaded headsets and quill stems it'd probably make you hopeful for the continued support of what we consider as contemporary 'standards' but think about how long the quill stem was the norm for, now consider how long it took for 29er to be replaced as the 'must have' thing for Mtbers.

twain":1noe6gnn said:
so bottom brackets are turning to the already seemingly antiquated method of press in headsets?
why dont we just do away with bearings altogether and have plastic, self lubricating bushings for bottom brackets and headsets....?? surely this isnt much of a strecth for todays material technologists??

Bmx already has bushing bottom brackets as it helps keep the cranks level during tricks like tail whips.

Re: Re:

Rampage":fs78akwr said:
twain":fs78akwr said:
JamesM":fs78akwr said:
I think the day of the press fit headset is nearing its end. What we need is headsets with cups that screw into the frame, that would be a good idea!!! :mrgreen: :LOL:

bit like hollowtech II bottom brackets then, but for your head tube :)
surely that can be done now? just thread your head tube yeah, screw 'em in & bobs your uncle ;)

It'll create all the problems of bearings wearing out very quick like the HT2 did.
So it'll probably happen.

Again, loads of different headset standards means the small bike shops have to keep all the different types of headset to keep everyone happy.

Even better if the small bike shop can't afford the tools or stock to keep everyone happy. I mean, once you've convinced your customer that your combination of press fit this, tapered that and funny shaped the other is going to make him faster/smoother/more attractive then you don't want him going to his lbs for servicing. Not if you can make him return to your branded dealership, pay premium prices to have branded parts fitted by a brand trained mechanic and be told after a carefully considered period of time that he needs to upgrade to the newest model to maintain his speed/smoothness/attractiveness.

mechanical_vandal":6k632d4e said:
greencat":6k632d4e said:
Personally, I'm not seeing a shortage of good quality "normal" sized headsets at the moment. But if there were, and also sufficient latent demand, then I'm sure new producers would emerge.

If you look at the current availability of stuff like 1" threaded headsets and quill stems it'd probably make you hopeful for the continued support of what we consider as contemporary 'standards' but think about how long the quill stem was the norm for, now consider how long it took for 29er to be replaced as the 'must have' thing for Mtbers.

With the ever changing standards and dwindling MTB sales maybe the safest most futureproof MTB frame to have could actually be one with 26" wheels, an english threaded BB shell and a headtube for 1 1/8 straight steerer, external press in cups etc.

JamesM":2j16ppeu said:
mechanical_vandal":2j16ppeu said:
greencat":2j16ppeu said:

With the ever changing standards and dwindling MTB sales maybe the safest most futureproof MTB frame to have could actually be one with 26" wheels, an english threaded BB shell and a headtube for 1 1/8 straight steerer, external press in cups etc.

Well I'll be alright then!

There was a bit of a slagging off of HT2 up theresomewhere which I meant to comment on.

I think HT2 is hands down the best advancement in cycling tech in my lifetime.

It used an existing platform - the threaded bb shell - in a new and better way.

It didn't need you to go out and buy a new frame, you just bought the cranks, you got the bb with them for free or at least integrated into the price - in the early days anyway, before CRC got hold of them and split everything up into separate sales.

There's one tool to buy that'll cost you around £10 for the Park version and that tool will remove your cranks and bottom bracket with zero worries about it slipping out of the splines or stripping any threads, even in the most amateur of hands.

I've never met a seized HT2 bb (I work as a bike mechanic btw).

Cranks are much much easier to remove for cleaning and maintenance and though some people report a drop in the life expectancy of the bb (I have been running HT2 cranks on my own bikes since they were available and only had to do my first bb replacement last month) the removal of the vulnerable interference fit between crank and bb axle has in my opinion, extended life expectancy of the more expensive item, the crank arms.

If every other 'advancement' offered as much as HT2 I'd happily be riding a carbon fibre, 650B, tapered steerer, clutched mech, narrow/wide single ring, pf30 bottom bracket, dropper post, Di2 wonderbike!

mechanical_vandal":1ctasowh said:
JamesM":1ctasowh said:
mechanical_vandal":1ctasowh said:

Well I'll be alright then!

As will I - and I think that's the point. There are huge numbers of 26ers with 1 1/8 straight steerers etc out there. It's hard to imagine they will be abandoned in favour of a bunch of competing yet to become standards. Especially given that we are no longer reliant on the lbs to fulfil our component needs.

I too like HT II. It's a clever piece of lateral thinking which makes use of what's currently available and reduces a lot of faff. Now if only the long life of its predecessor could be reproduced... Still fingers crossed for my recent Hope external BB.

Back