Modern groupset choice ….

<wanders in>

define '100% reliable'?

what does that exactly mean and why the snide dig at the retro scene?

I was in early on Di2, building bikes and even adapted it to a wireless version with for use with hand cycles - unfortunately SRAM beat me to it there. It was very good at what it did but presented a whole heap of technical headaches that were soon solved with Di2 specific frames

Anyway, its kind of weird to post on a site that celebrates the old then complain that we dont all say 'golly gosh what a fantastic person you must be to have spent all that money, heres our suggestions' Do you stand in Aldi and shout 'this M&S quinoa I just bought is soooo much better!'

Some of the questions and suggestions have been quite valid, the resultant whining and humblebragg just leaves a bad taste

You could have just put up a build thread instead ya know!

<wanders in>

define '100% reliable'?

what does that exactly mean and why the snide dig at the retro scene?

I was in early on Di2, building bikes and even adapted it to a wireless version with for use with hand cycles - unfortunately SRAM beat me to it there. It was very good at what it did but presented a whole heap of technical headaches that were soon solved with Di2 specific frames

Anyway, its kind of weird to post on a site that celebrates the old then complain that we dont all say 'golly gosh what a fantastic person you must be to have spent all that money, heres our suggestions' Do you stand in Aldi and shout 'this M&S quinoa I just bought is soooo much better!'

Some of the questions and suggestions have been quite valid, the resultant whining and humblebragg just leaves a bad taste

You could have just put up a build thread instead ya know!

Snide dig?

I posted a specific valid question and got helpful replies from some members and helped make my mind up on what groupset to use.

I was very specific in asking for anyone who has owned or ridden to try to get valid responses. Suggesting rim brakes when it’s a disc frame isn’t valid imo.

Brag…. It’s a damn pushbike not a Bugatti. Have a word with yourself. Says more about you than me if you think putting a question on a cycling forum is a brag. There’s already members running similar set ups as mentioned so I’m absolutely sure no body is impressed.
And then as expected you come along with your nonsense as usual.

It’s quite easy to add me to your ignore list. Trust me you’ve been there for years ….

Last edited:
Yep it’s deffo what I’m going for.

Frame and wheels arrived today. So plan is to start buying the small bits whilst saving the 2k needed for the group.

View attachment 692564

RCSL was for sure a great colour way on the C64, are you going to run the SR9 or going the Deda route? R8100 makes sense when budget/practicality conscious, its nice to see a 64 built with something other than DA/AXS/EPS!

Great choice on the CeramicSpeed T45, the coated option is a no brainer.

RCSL was for sure a great colour way on the C64, are you going to run the SR9 or going the Deda route? R8100 makes sense when budget/practicality conscious, its nice to see a 64 built with something other than DA/AXS/EPS!

Great choice on the CeramicSpeed T45, the coated option is a no brainer.

Yes I think I’m going to go SR9 and Deda bars. I’m struggling at the moment to decide what length stem I need so it may be last piece of the puzzle

I did look at the Deda 1 piece bars and they are truly lovely but an obscene amount for something that is easily damaged. I don’t think I can stretch to it currently but I’m hanging my nose over the farsports bars which review well.

Ultegra seems the logical choice as it reviews so well and is a third cheaper than Dura. My intention is to use the bike as much as possible (it’ll be my only road bike- I’ve got gravel and winter too) so I’m also thinking about consumables along the way too.

Ceramicspeed is purely because my supersix has creaked from new and I’m not having that on this new one so I’ll bite the bullet

It’s strange a the BB was the sole reason I’ve not purchased a supersix again. Then literally the day I get the new frame delivered the new Supersix is announced with a threaded bb.

Once I’ve messed around with deals and favours I think this C64 will build cheaper than the Ultegra spec Supersix/tarmac which is quite a challenge.

I would start a thread on here but can’t be bothered with the troll. Head over to weight weenies as I’ve just joined and started a thread on it.

Yes I think I’m going to go SR9 and Deda bars. I’m struggling at the moment to decide what length stem I need so it may be last piece of the puzzle

I did look at the Deda 1 piece bars and they are truly lovely but an obscene amount for something that is easily damaged. I don’t think I can stretch to it currently but I’m hanging my nose over the farsports bars which review well.

Ultegra seems the logical choice as it reviews so well and is a third cheaper than Dura. My intention is to use the bike as much as possible (it’ll be my only road bike- I’ve got gravel and winter too) so I’m also thinking about consumables along the way too.

Ceramicspeed is purely because my supersix has creaked from new and I’m not having that on this new one so I’ll bite the bullet

It’s strange a the BB was the sole reason I’ve not purchased a supersix again. Then literally the day I get the new frame delivered the new Supersix is announced with a threaded bb.

Once I’ve messed around with deals and favours I think this C64 will build cheaper than the Ultegra spec Supersix/tarmac which is quite a challenge.

I would start a thread on here but can’t be bothered with the troll. Head over to weight weenies as I’ve just joined and started a thread on it.

if you plan on doing the miles and consumables are a priority I would recommend fitting the CeramicSpeed SLT headset prior to finishing the build, whilst the OE Acros headset is good quality the bearings will need replacing at some point and then you run into the headache of the internally routed hoses/cables. The SLT whilst spendy should be fit & forget aside from sporadically cleaning the bearing faces.

Cannondale's are notorious for bb issues and they've had so many attempts to rectify it with slightly differing press fit bb standards (bb30, bb30a,pf30,pf30a) so not surprised the supersix is now threaded. Tarmac/supersix whilst popular are not in the same league as Colnago imo :)

if you plan on doing the miles and consumables are a priority I would recommend fitting the CeramicSpeed SLT headset prior to finishing the build, whilst the OE Acros headset is good quality the bearings will need replacing at some point and then you run into the headache of the internally routed hoses/cables. The SLT whilst spendy should be fit & forget aside from sporadically cleaning the bearing faces.

Cannondale's are notorious for bb issues and they've had so many attempts to rectify it with slightly differing press fit bb standards (bb30, bb30a,pf30,pf30a) so not surprised the supersix is now threaded. Tarmac/supersix whilst popular are not in the same league as Colnago imo :)

You sound like you know Colnago?

You own one?

I’ll take a look at headset bearings as the intergrated looks a pain yes.

I’ve so far only for the framset , wheels and tyres so the rest wil come when funds allow.

Groupset is chosen but the rest is open currently to suggestion. Saving hard for the groupset as the next item.

The price of high end saddles and bars/stem really are extortionately high and I didn’t really know before I was all in buying the frame so I’m hoping I’ll have it built for summer.

You sound like you know Colnago?

You own one?

I’ll take a look at headset bearings as the intergrated looks a pain yes.

I’ve so far only for the framset , wheels and tyres so the rest wil come when funds allow.

Groupset is chosen but the rest is open currently to suggestion. Saving hard for the groupset as the next item.

The price of high end saddles and bars/stem really are extortionately high and I didn’t really know before I was all in buying the frame so I’m hoping I’ll have it built for summer.

I know them well yes, have always liked the brand.

I currently have a C59, C60, M10 though the M10 is a single speed winter hack & not for the purist!

pricing has increased on all components over the last 6 months, historically Shimano has been easy to source via grey market though lack of availability all but dried that up hence we aren't seeing heavy discounts from the big onliners like we used to.

On the creaking cannondale you had, can you not fit a threaded sleeve into the BB and then use threaded cups? Thats what I did on my carbon frame

Yes there are BB options out there from C bear , ceramic speed , hambini etc but all cost a couple of hundred quid and that’s a decent percentage of its value now. Maybe when it was new I would have messed about if those options were available. It’s simply just a bad design on the BB30 and Cannondale have finally changed it

the aluminium sleeve i got from CRC cost about a tenner
Its possible availibility is zero nowadays

Back