Modern groupset choice ….

Plus I want to be able to stop in all conditions and have the luxury of perfectly working gears all the time
I can recommend a set of good caliper brakes and a 9x1 Shimergo mechanical drivetrain.

There are some hidden costs of going electronic.
You can add £5 to the total cost to buy one of these for your emergency tool kit.

PS I really like the carbon fibre paint job! What's underneath it? Ti or Steel?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I can recommend a set of good caliper brakes and a 9x1 Shimergo mechanical drivetrain.

There are some hidden costs of going electronic.
You can add £5 to the total cost to buy one of these for your emergency tool kit.

PS I really like the carbon fibre paint job! What's underneath it? Ti or Steel?

Not sure if trolling or serious?

Anyway di2 batteries last around 600-700’miles. So maybe 1 charge around every 5-6 weeks for 90 mins.

In terms of the paint. It’s called frozen silver. Limited edition for the last of the C64 and was available in blue/red/gold all of which I liked but maybe a bit much.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
600-700 miles? Won't be much good for L-E-L then, huh.

Just mild friendly trolling mate. ;)

Apart from the shimergo 9x1 drivetrain and rim brakes - that I'm dead serious about.

The paintwork is exceptional, that is true. 😍

In all honesty, I am extremely sceptical about modern bike parts. Never cycled as much as in the last 3 years (done about 25k miles, including all weather commuting) and gone through several bikes, old and new, al, ti, cf and steel. Spent a lot more that I would have liked until finding my bike zen and became a very sad and sceptical bugger in the end.
Comfortable arse perch - a necessity. A compliant frame with sensible geometry - absolutely. Good wheelset with good rubber - yes please. Everything else is just bling. A set of £50 micronew shifters with a cheap used shimmy mech off ebay and a cheapo 9 speed cassette, running through £5 Chinese alligator link rip-off works almost as well as anything else for all practical purposes imho.

I do love retrobike 😂 always makes me smile

Ask a specific question about a 12 spd , disc and electronic groupset and be recommended a 9 spd £50 groupset and rim brakes as they just as good ….almost

I’ve run a few iterations of Ultegra di2 and it’s never let me down. I think you made the right call.

Well, I'm faster than most local roadies on the climbs, and I can go faster than my guardian angel can fly on the descents (albeit, significantly slower than most local roadies...their guardian angels must be running Di2 or something). And that's me on a humble 9x1.
So what does a 12sp drivetrain do? Apart from adding weight?🤔
How long will that fancy new bottom bracket last before it needs replacing? 5k tops from fair weather riding?
Rim brakes are better than disks for road if you ask me, but you won't find a £4k frameset built for rims these days, would you. So they can't possibly be good 'nuff.

There's nothing wrong with splashing a bit of cash on a bike - we've all been there. Good for mental health and for the economy.
But it is Retrobike, isn't it 🤪 We're here because deep inside we know how old bike gear [objectively] compares to new stuff.

Last edited:
Even though I did attempt not to get this thread into the normal old vs new debate ……

Firstly yes they still make rim brake versions of some high end frames. This is available in both. I chose disc and intergrated. Hence my specific question as that what it accepts and what I’ll be buying.

Secondly …bottom bracket will be a ceramicspeed coated so has Lifetime warranty. Users are over 20k miles and still perfect on WW.

It’s a bit of a silly direction you are trying to take the thread as it sounds like you have no experience of 12 spd or disc and that’s fine. I don’t have anything to add to many topics and I simply walk by. If you want to debate 9spd vs 12 or new vs old start a thread is what I’m saying.

The intention was just to pull your leg mate, not to cause offence. No doubt that no retro bike will ever be able to match your build.

As far as 12sp drivetrain - never tried, have no intention to, but can figure out the difference - higher gear ratio (extra downhill gear or two) and/or closer gear ratios. Did I miss anything?

As far as disk brakes go, I've had more than enough of that, thank you.

Enjoy your build and don't take things too seriously ;)

Yep it’s deffo what I’m going for.

Frame and wheels arrived today. So plan is to start buying the small bits whilst saving the 2k needed for the group.

View attachment 692564

Will we get to see more of this as it goes together? Looks great from a distance, but looks fantastic close up, lots of neat details in there 😍

Yes I can certainly start a thread if there is interest.

Aim is to have a nice summer bike but also one which is 100% reliable and useable to bang the mileage on.

It’s also not a unlimited budget build so I’ve got to hunt the bargains (discounts rather than bargains)

Back