Modern bikes are they lardy?!

legrandefromage":rgw45mcq said:
The average person just want a form of transport that gives them the least amount of problems, to many cycling is still seen as what you did as a child and if you do it as an adult, .

Agree.
People like me very much in the minority. But shops love me.(Well they did until the modern rubbish bigger wheels, disc brakes & suspension.)

I have written a couple of articles about this that are in the queue to print. I think there's a lot going on re lardiness. The objectives have changed re FS, an AMP B3 (B is for BENDY) could be built down to 24lbs without too much trouble - at around 2000 gbp in the late 90s. But the culture was different then. It was about UP, not DOWN, it was about distance not thrashing a trail over and over, like a DH run. It was about 'leaving no trace', not digging trails and doing cutties. There's a lot to this, and it's left us with 32lb trail bikes.

I am just putting together a 29 Transition Sentinel, and I will beat the 34 lbs of the stock bike, but it is a lardy thing.
I will be building soon a Stanton Switch 29er ti - that will be a strong and very light thing.

Re:

Trail bikes are very different to 90s mountain bikes.

A gravel bike is nearer really in terms of use and weight.

Plus bikes are damn expensive now for top models.

But lower models are much better than the average rider will need. Maybe take a look at canyon bikes for value and lovely models.

Re:

Yes they're probably a few pounds heavier, but can tackle much more difficult terrain, or not if you wish, and are generally comfier and easier to control.
In the big scheme of things these days you're unlkely to notice a few pounds difference when trail riding.

Re:

In answer to OP yes but they ride so much better , they go up better , down better , stop better and generally ride and handle everything better , last time I was out on the diablo I started with brakes and finished with a very gradual reduction in speed , had an otb moment on a small muddy hole I don't even think about on the 26 soul, the 27.5 soul or the rocket , I was buggered at the end of the ride I do twice a week without thinking about on a modern bike and had to do a load of maintenance rather than give it a quick wash and put it in garage and that's why I ride the lardy modern mainly .

legrandefromage":1g4cmnn2 said:
clubby":1g4cmnn2 said:
legrandefromage":1g4cmnn2 said:
(sniggers; Raleigh... shoulda bought a Kona mate!)

Tell that to Tomac ;)

Tsk! His was a Raleigh USA, sooo much biggerer, sooo much betteererr, beautiful sooo beautiful, the best, the best

What about Dave Baker or Caroline Alexander then?

I’d also contest the common wisdom that a light bike is easier to ride. Might feel better uphill but a lot more skittery downhill.
Lots of companies actually experimenting with adding weight to frames to improve ride.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/add-weig ... ess-trend/

Chris Porter has done similar things.

I was obsessed with bike weight in the early 90’s as well, but as you say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Matthews":3v1rbkcy said:
In answer to OP yes but they ride so much better , they go up better , down better , stop better and generally ride and handle everything better , last time I was out on the diablo I started with brakes and finished with a very gradual reduction in speed , had an otb moment on a small muddy hole I don't even think about on the 26 soul, the 27.5 soul or the rocket , I was buggered at the end of the ride I do twice a week without thinking about on a modern bike and had to do a load of maintenance rather than give it a quick wash and put it in garage and that's why I ride the lardy modern mainly .

But thats not what was asked

A lot of current bikes are lardy, they are heavy to put into a stand, they are cheap and nasty to work on and hardly a comparison to something an experienced person will put together for themselves.

And a person has to be reasonably fit. Its no use wallet waiving and only being able to ride a few miles before collapsing (great for the second hand market though)

Again, turning up to a classic car meet in a Golf R shouting at how great it is compared to some old Cortina is not what the question was about.

The lady needs a general use 'something' on the cycle to work scheme that is practical and light, not some 8 inch travel downhill rig so she can 'send it' at each Youtube friendly drop-off.

And! And! (thats a lot of sentences starting with an 'A' today) you lot that say how great new stuff is, just remember this twonk:

file.php

And very excited to find out the special guest was LGF! - who did annoyingly well on a totally ridiculous bike for the conditions...

On this bicycle:

file.php

So shut it :LOL:

Back