Mint ‘92 Marin Eldridge Grade

Finally had a weekend with not much on (aside from the usual ferrying children around to various sporting and other activities :( ).

So, I've got the Gunk degreaser and the Autosol out. The drivetrain bits have come out sparkling. Here's an as good as NOS Deore DX rear derailleur.

MbLlYfs.jpg

I've worked similar magic on the FD, Chainset and cassette. The NDS crank needs a new transfer, so I nabbed the graphic from HullBorn. Cheers!

I've also fully cleaned and repacked the rear wheel. There were some decidedly non stainless looking spokes on there, but they've come up fine under the power of Autosol. I might replace a couple of slightly damaged looking ones though.

Oh, and the frame is looking lovely after a full clean and wax. Really great nick. I'll get some more photos up soon.

These arrived yesterday morning...

Some nice '92 era NOS Shimano QR skewers. Not sure of the exact age, but these seem to match the photos I've seen of the original skewers on 92 Eldridge Grades. Either way, they'll make a nice replacement for the cheap QRs that came with the bike.

Probably enough on the bike to start the spec sheet. Here goes:

Frame: 1992 Marin Eldgridge Grade 19", Tange steel

Fork: Marin Lite Rockstar (878g -- some way off the 750g on the sticker!)

Headset: Ritchey Logic 1 1/8", black
Stem: Marin Lite quill (338g)
Handlebar: Marin Lite T6 Ali 'titanium effect' (182g)
Grips: Ritchey WCS foam (49g)
Barends: none

Brakes: Shimano 'Deore DX' BRM50 cantis (390g inc. pads)
Brake Pads: Shimano original
Brake Cables: Shimano M-System (new)
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT M095 'RapidFire+' (464g L&R)
Front Derailleur: Deore DX FD650 (124g)
Rear Derailleur: Deore DX RD650GS (261g)
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SIS (new)
Cassette: Shimano HG70 12-28 7 speed (312g)
Chain: KMC (to be weighed, new)
Cranks: Shimano Deore LX FC-M550 (chainset weight: 732g)
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN50
Pedals: TBD

Hub Skewers: Shimano (190g NOS)
Rims: Mavic M231 32H
Hubs: F: Shimano HB-M550, R: Shimano FH-M550
Nipples: Brass (in annoying Asian size -- luckily I managed to find a spokey that fit!)
Spokes: Wheelsmith 14G
Tyres: F: Panaracer Dart HC 2.1 (695g), R: Marin Rockstar Sierra (to be weighed)
Tubes: TBD

Saddle: Ritchey Logic Comp (343g)
Seatpost: Marin Lite by Kallor, 330mm (274g)
Seatpost Binder: Marin Lite (to be weighed)

Weight: TBD

Re: Mint ‘92 Marin Eldridge Grade FINSIHED!! (photos on page 3)

Pretty much finished now, and taken round the block for a shakedown.

The headset is a little loose, and I can't quite work out why. The bottom nut is up as tight as it will go, and there's still movement. I suspect a spacer or something is in the wrong place. Anyone got an instruction manual for a Ritchey Logic threaded headset?!

The shakedown also revealed an issue with the rear M095 shifters. Basically, the ratchet stopped indexing on the top 4-5 gears. Disassembling revealed a small bit of plastic caught in the ratchet. Now removed, and shifters working again. It looks like the bit of plastic came from the ring where the gear cable attaches. Hopefully it's not important! I'm having a little trouble shifting down to the middle ring on the FD. I can shift into it no problem from the granny ring, so I guess I need to take that one apart again too!

To fully complete the build, I could do with a good condition or NOS Rockstar Sierra tyre for the front, and I have a couple of old (early to mid-90s) matt black alu bottle cages. They just need a clean and a bit of bending back into shape, and they're ready to go.

Anyway... photos!

wVSogU9.jpg

EhsAHhM.jpg

TkK9mmY.jpg

3XAKoJE.jpg

HwX4Gqt.jpg

PQtWLnn.jpg

qkH02jT.jpg

X5GMAQO.jpg

Re:

That looks a treat mate...

With the Logic headset, do you have the right size bearings in? The lower race has bigger bearings than the top.I have had the same problem in the past and have also found that i have put them in upside down... The bottom bearings rotate in the cup of the frame with the cage moving on the race and the top one the other way around, cage down into cup of frame and the bearings rotating into the bottom part of headset (the bit with Ritchey Logic written)

Hope this helps.

Rich.

Oh, and I also added a Noah's Ark sticker to the downtube, as that's where I bought my original from all those years ago.

mRyBU6m.jpg

Looks liked they moved since I bought my Eldridge (and a couple of Pine Mountains afterwards), and nearly closed down when the original owners retired. Still going, but don't seem to sell Marin anymore :(

Re: Re:

PopsTrippin":2hb7veov said:
With the Logic headset, do you have the right size bearings in? The lower race has bigger bearings than the top.I have had the same problem in the past and have also found that i have put them in upside down... The bottom bearings rotate in the cup of the frame with the cage moving on the race and the top one the other way around, cage down into cup of frame and the bearings rotating into the bottom part of headset (the bit with Ritchey Logic written)

Thanks Rich. Fairly sure I got the larger bearings in the lower race. Might well have got them upside down though!

Finally fixed the headset. I tried turning the lower bearing around (so the ‘cage’ sat on the lower race, with the bearings facing the cups) but that meant barely any space for the locknut.

So, took it all apart again, flipped the bearings, and put back together. Loose again. FFS!! A bit more wiggling and another tighten and everything seems fine. I reckon the lower seal was getting in the way a bit.

Also, I’d forgotten how much cantis are a bitch to set up. So many things to fettle to get them working right. V brakes rock!

Looking forward to spanking this one around Bedgebury!

Back