Middleburn Xtype cranks

klunkrider

Retro Guru
I tried searching but seemed most results were classifieds listings.

I'm thinking about getting some Middleburn RS7 or 8 X-Type cranks to go on a Kona Honzo. The frame is boost spaced and has pretty large tyre clearance so I'm concerned that the narrower RS8 cranks won't clear the stays

The RS8 are available in my preferred length and colour from reputable dealers whereas the RS7 are not so readily available. I can find the length I want but only from an ebay seller so who knows what warranty cover will be like and they are black where I'd rather have silver.

So, anyone got RS8s on a modern frame and can tell me what the clearance is like?

Or do you know where I can find some diagrams showing the shapes and measurements of them?

Did you go for the RS7s or RS8s in the end?

Pics!

Anyone else with with X-Type Middleburns fitted to their bikes also please share photos :)

Try BETD. They bought over or took over the Middleburn name/business a while back.

I did, they were really vague. Just said that if clearance was an issue then don't by the RS8. The guy I spoke to said they might, maybe have had some 170mm RS7 in stock - they only had 175mm showing in stock on the site - but I really wanted 165mm and then he told me that despite the 175mm RS7 and a lot of different options for the RS8 showing as in stock on the site it would be weeks before they could actually dispatch them as they didn't have any spindles for anything.

I asked if there were drawings for the RS8 so I could check the clearance but again got a vague fobbing off.

All in all they did a fantastic job of discouraging me from buying anything.

So I bought a set of Deores with a direct mount chainring that'll probably work better and cost less than just a chainring would for the 'burns.

Back