Which middleburn cranks

Imlach

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi lads,

Just off the phone with BETD after stumbling over the Rs7 chainset while surfing the net. Unfortunately the person able to help me pick was not in until Monday. So I figured I'll ask here, because I know there's some middleburnphiles lurking around.

I have decided on the RS7 over the RS8 but I'm stuck between square taper and x type. I've got mostly square taper bikes but I've heard people complain about Crank strikes to the chainstay with these, and as I always ride singlespeed I require good chainline adjustability. What would you guys recommend? Also what is the optimal spindle length for the square taper RS7?

Thanks
Chris

I run RS7 as singlespeed. For a correct chainline they are designed for a 113mm JIS bottom bracket.
I use a 110mm PCD 5-arm spider, with a narrow-wide ring on the outer position. A 103mm bottom bracket is just about spot-on.
Rear hub is a Phil Wood 135mm with White Industries screw-on freewheel.

There is plenty of clearance on my frame (Kona Kaboom), 170mm cranks.

I run RS7 as singlespeed. For a correct chainline they are designed for a 113mm JIS bottom bracket.
I use a 110mm PCD 5-arm spider, with a narrow-wide ring on the outer position. A 103mm bottom bracket is just about spot-on.
Rear hub is a Phil Wood 135mm with White Industries screw-on freewheel.

There is plenty of clearance on my frame (Kona Kaboom), 170mm cranks.
Cheers mate. Looks like I'll just get the square taper and try it with a few different spindle lengths.

If you want secondhand I have a set of 175 arms going.

Would love to buy but I'm in need of 165s. It's the first time I've needed such short cranks, but this is for a gravel bike, 700c - 175 and 170 is no good for this build . I appreciate the offer though mate. But I'm also happy to support BETD and the cranks are actually pretty fairly priced.

Happy Thursday from a grey gloomy looking Denmark

Back