Michael Jackson jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tallpaul":3b7iiawd said:
Would an MJ joke have been acceptable two days ago?

He was alive two days ago.

I joke about my wife, but would have a different perspective if she'd just died.

Dave_H":2km4rpmy said:
Tallpaul":2km4rpmy said:
Would an MJ joke have been acceptable two days ago?

He was alive two days ago.

I joke about my wife, but would have a different perspective if she'd just died.

I'll take that as a yes.

It was really a rhetorical question... One shouldn't speak ill of the dead etc. but music aside the guy lived a rather questionable life and one that has spawned countless jokes. I recall one from when I was maybe 12 or so about 'blowing bubbles', honestly it was funny....

Tallpaul":og3mjgra said:
I recall one from when I was maybe 12 or so about 'blowing bubbles', honestly it was funny....

Indeed it was an amusing joke, and I've heard a few today that have made me chuckle.

However, why does it take a sad event like a death to make it necessary to punt out all of the old jokes? To turn your question around, if people find MJ so funny jokes, why didn't they start the thread two days ago?

Tallpaul":1rj8bhvm said:
the guy lived a rather questionable life and one that has spawned countless jokes.

[argumentative mode]
So if he really was a paedophile, where's the humour in that? Would you mind jokes about a guy who abused members of your family?
[/argumentative mode]

The problem with internet forums is that they're treated as being 'mates in a pub sharing a laugh'. That's fine whilst you're on the mainstream subjects, but once the boundaries are being pushed (truly, what's funny about death/paedophilia?), you're pushing it around people who you don't really know and do not understand the possible impact.

Dave_H":2cj9uq9z said:
The problem with internet forums is that they're treated as being 'mates in a pub sharing a laugh'.

What should they be if not that?

Dave_H":2cj9uq9z said:
what's funny about death/paedophilia?

Isn't this all clearly a reaction to the media portrayal of him after his death? If the coverage had been less biased in one way there wouldn't have been the backlash towards the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back