merlin with maguras, kona uhu, rock lobster

theboy":3p9yx2sn said:
Interesting
nope, crap.
My Rock Lobster 853 is the best frame I've ever ridden. Before that the Merlin WCS made of Ritchey WCS tubing always had rave reviews, although sadly I've yet to get my hands on one. My Merlin wheels are the best-made wheels I've ever had.

I don't hear any complaints about Merlin products, do you?

Anthony":1odznkmn said:
theboy":1odznkmn said:
Interesting
nope, crap.
My Rock Lobster 853 is the best frame I've ever ridden. Before that the Merlin WCS made of Ritchey WCS tubing always had rave reviews, although sadly I've yet to get my hands on one. My Merlin wheels are the best-made wheels I've ever had.

I don't hear any complaints about Merlin products, do you?

I definitely second the merlin wheels being great- I have a set of merlin built wheels- excellent.

Merlin Cycles of Leyland, Lancashire was set up in 1992, whereas Merlin Metalworks of Cambridge, Massachusetts started up in 1986. You would have thought that the US Merlin would have been well enough known by 1992 for the folks in Leyland to have chosen another name, but 1992 was another era and I suppose it is possible that news of Merlin Metalworks hadn't reached Leyland yet. Clearly also, Merlin Metalworks can't have registered its name in the UK at that time, otherwise I think they could have forced Merlin Cycles to change its name.

To be fair to Merlin Cycles, I don't think they have ever tried to trade off the reputation of the US Merlin and they pay Paul Sadoff for their use of the Rock Lobster name. It is quite a strange situation though.

Anthony":100qkkx3 said:
Merlin Cycles of Leyland, Lancashire was set up in 1992, whereas Merlin Metalworks of Cambridge, Massachusetts started up in 1986. You would have thought that the US Merlin would have been well enough known by 1992 for the folks in Leyland to have chosen another name, but 1992 was another era and I suppose it is possible that news of Merlin Metalworks hadn't reached Leyland yet. Clearly also, Merlin Metalworks can't have registered its name in the UK at that time, otherwise I think they could have forced Merlin Cycles to change its name.

To be fair to Merlin Cycles, I don't think they have ever tried to trade off the reputation of the US Merlin and they pay Paul Sadoff for their use of the Rock Lobster name. It is quite a strange situation though.

every time I see the name Merlin I expect to see US titanium & its always a dissapointment to see far eastern alu. From now on can we post the UK company as Merlin alu please to avoid confusion :roll:

this isnt meant as offence to either merlin UK or merlin US owners... just so we know which is which from now on :)

Huntso":xbax6ztj said:
Definitely :LOL: but its a fair point and sensible suggestion

I can only tolerate looking at a few unibomber bikes a day. it'll save my eyes in the long run ;) :LOL:

When I saw the headline Merlin with Maguras etc, it never occurred to me for a moment to think that it was a ti Merlin. 95% or more of all the bikes called Merlins in the UK are from Merlin Cycles and quite a few of them aren't aluminium.

If people were to say Merlin MALT2 or Merlin XLM or whatever then it would be clearer, but in general the wise words and deeds of King Knut will rule as ever. King Scant can sit on the beach and tell the waves to go back, but the waves will not go back.

Back