merlin titanium

Ed, those thick spoked crossmax look so good on that bike. I should definately not have passed on those from that guy on stw.

:cry:

Like the one piece of colour - red stem too. Very Balance of Wu.

;)

Re:

I totally don't remember this thread, but upon using the search facility, here I am. I've updated my sig with a link, so I don't lose it again.

I still have this. It's a little unloved, hiding in the very back of the spare room for the last ~10 years. I have just dug it out, with a view to giving it a clean up tomorrow. It is very dusty, and the tyres are flat. The decals are starting to show their age, especially the fork decals.

Also, I never did get around to changing the brake pads, I have some at the ready.

Re:

I notice some of the pics earlier in the thread no longer work. So delving deep into the hard drive, I have come up with some of them.

Here are the bar end reinforcement plugs I made to accommodate the xlite bar ends.

abRknhol.jpg

1SxKgfCl.jpg

GgpJVpzl.jpg

And this pic, date stamp says it was November 2007.

Jyh4cMml.jpg

This is pretty much as the bike look now. I realise I strongly dislike the green. I will do my best to remove this soon.

Re:

Ok, so I have arrived at work and am looking at giving the thing a good once over.

OPXhcXPl.jpg

j437x4ml.jpg

sEzr19fl.jpg

You can see how dusty it is.

Things to do:-
Pump tyres up a bit.
Clean.
Add more suitable brake pads.
Lose the green.

When did it get so hard to find chain ring bolts with allen key sockets rather than torx?

I thought I might add some dimensions, it might help others when making choices about purchases, I know it'll help me.

Frame:-
Seat tube, c-c 16&1/4, c-t18&1/4, 1&3/8 od.
Tope tube, 21&1/2 actual, 22&1/2 effective, 1&3/8 od.
Down tube, 1&1/2 od.
Headtube, 37mm od, 100mm long.
BB 68mm english.
Chain stays, 16&3/4 long, 7/8 od.
Seat stays, 3/4 od.
Seat post 27.2mm. I have 237mm exposed up to the seat rail.

Forks:-
1&1/8 ahead.
105mm tube centres.
1&1/8 steel tubes.
390mm a-c

Bars:- Azonic, 560mm wide

Stem, Syncros, 110mm 0degrees.

Wheels, Mavic Crossland, 28h rear, 26(!)h front.

Re:

Some nice no-name things, possibly Wellgo. Back when even the cheap stuff was good. Back in the day, I would have either used xt spds or bmx flats. Neither suit this bike, as spds are hard to ride with trainers, and bmx flats wouldn't sit well.

Re:

Right.

Pumped the tyres up.
Partially striped it down, I didn't see the merit in removing the cranks or forks. But the wheels, brakes, seatpost, bars, controls and rear mech came right off. Cleaned everything, brushed the frame and waxed with Pledge. So satisfying.
Ditched the green jockey wheels. I fitted some 9sp ones in for now, as I cant put my hands on any 8sp ones RN.
Exchanged the brake pads for some less offensive silver ones.
Ditched the water bottle cage. It's too shouty, and I never used to use one bitd anyway.

ikzVm4Ql.jpg

dG7TKfMl.jpg

Frame number as you can see is 10796, which puts it roughly in the first quarter of 1995.

Nothing untoward found, apart from the grips are already starting to perish. They were new when I first put the thing together, they took some finding back in 2007. But they have already started to split. What is the common thing to do regarding grips for older bikes now then? I guess we're a bit early for repops?

Some thing I hadn't noticed before. The brake posts have a separate key for the hair spring. Are these available as spares from anyone?

Ztsu4gAl.jpg

Some more pics.

mwxaKvll.jpg

cZc2Llil.jpg

dUcaxqYl.jpg

4tmEVWHl.jpg

bi1FOr5l.jpg

6DhGFd9l.jpg

MYocBoOl.jpg

Back