MBK Tracker 1986 - first french attempt at a mainstream MTB!

bduc61

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I believe this is the truly first french try at a mainstream MTB by MBK - the new marketing name of the very old motobecane
which went down in 1983 to be bought back by some investors out of which Yamaha !

Its probably from 85 or 86

Influenced by its US role models

with a triple Specialites TA crankset with bashguard
rear Sachs Huret New Success long cage derailleur - the top of the touring and road derailleur from Sachs which had bought Huret earlier on in 1980
Sachs Huret front Derailleur
Sachs Huret Thumbshifters ( pretty rare here in France)
Dia Compe Cantilevers with Lee Chi brake levers ( wonder why these :?: they are the owners of Promax now )
Maillard hubs on Weinmann rims
BMX stem and bar - I really think a bullmoose stem + a nitto 801 bar would look much better :idea:

Unfortunately bought the bike in a "remote" manner and its not in very good condition :?
the frame is in quite a sad state, paintwise ( some slight corrosion lines under the paint and some areas sprayed with can black paint :roll:

Don't know what I will do yet :facepalm: shall it be a donor bike as most of the parts are original ?

But amusing as really one of the first french MTB :cool:

I think bringing it back to ridable condition whilst keeping it original is the best idea!

Re:

Here a restoration of an example which sports another stem and bar which I actually prefer :idea:

oldy510.jpg
[/quote]

Here's my mbk tracker. Still looking for some parts, but will be done in the next couple of weeks. Will go back to sachs shifters again to keep it like it was.
20220505_211731.jpg

Back