Marzocchi Z2 Superfly restoration: FINISHED!!

Re: Marzocchi Z2 Superfly restoration???

And...take a lot pictures from the repair, please, it can be sooo useful for us in the future! :)

Re: Marzocchi Z2 Superfly restoration???

Rampage":3qwmutiv said:
You could bead blast the corroded parts to get a good finish for painting.
They have pretty hardcore thread-lock on those bolts so heat it with something First, like a hair dryer.
Is only one bolt left in? Can you turn the brace to try and loosen it? I can't remember the design of them.
just the one bolt and its nicely seized so I've rounded the head in an attempt to remove it :facepalm:
i tried to move the brace but due to the design of the back, it doesn't move very much. plus the brace just moves on its own whilst the bolt stays tight. i thought of drilling out the bolt like previously mentioned but that would likely damage the threads so ive ordered a set of these -> http://www.screwfix.com/p/trend-pro-gra ... eces/21391 which you drill into the bolt head in reverse and then unscrew the bolt as normal (well, fingers crossed)
I gotta wait until thursday though before i can collect them from the store.

This is how far ive got for now... They still look fairly nasty, all ive done is scraped off the rest of the peeling paint and scrubbed off the corrosion dust left behind and removed 3/4 brace bolts. There isnt any point in doing anything else until i have that brace off

I bought a 1980's makita drill from cash converters earlier for £9.99, it Doesn't seem very powerfull but its good enough.

Angyalpor":3qwmutiv said:
And...take a lot pictures from the repair, please, it can be sooo useful for us in the future! :)
will do :)

Attachments

• IMG_4307.JPG
    IMG_4307.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_4327.JPG
    IMG_4327.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_4338.JPG
    IMG_4338.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_4311.JPG
    IMG_4311.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 591
Re:

good luck! :cool:

personally i found these forks to be er.. a really odd design and a massive pain! :LOL:

the biggest flaw being the slit in the bushings needs to be lined up with the air valve to get any sort of pressure reading.. and even then its a bit hit and miss

the air also doesn't release properly when the valve is covered..

and over time the bushings can rotate slightly.. covering up the air valve again..

and yeah.. the valves are made of cheese.. really expensive cheese. and i think windwave only had two left in stock when i ordered mine..! so be careful!!

are you planning on repainting the bits you've scraped paint off? if you are id make sure to use a good quality etching primer.. or it'll just flake straight back off again..

If they're Magnesium i don't think polishing will stay looking nice for long

Re: Re:

spacehopper":1wefv1x7 said:
good luck! :cool:

personally i found these forks to be er.. a really odd design and a massive pain! :LOL:

the biggest flaw being the slit in the bushings needs to be lined up with the air valve to get any sort of pressure reading.. and even then its a bit hit and miss

the air also doesn't release properly when the valve is covered..

and over time the bushings can rotate slightly.. covering up the air valve again..

and yeah.. the valves are made of cheese.. really expensive cheese. and i think windwave only had two left in stock when i ordered mine..! so be careful!!

are you planning on repainting the bits you've scraped paint off? if you are id make sure to use a good quality etching primer.. or it'll just flake straight back off again..

If they're Magnesium i don't think polishing will stay looking nice for long

Im just gonna repaint the black parts of the forks, the legs are designed to be polished and dont seem to oxidise so much. But i know what you mean about the magnesium, I had these all polished z1's on my santa cruz a few years ago and they pitted like crazy

From what you said It sounds like i might be better off carefully masking up and painting around the valves instead of taking them out...

Sean

Re:

might work better to mask them off yeah..

the one that snapped in mine went with such a tiny amount of one finger on the spanner type pressure..

I struggled polishing the crown on mine too..

bits of Ali kept flaking off whilst i sanded leaving pits in it.. and i ended up having to paint it black.. guess it must have been the type of alloy they used but i've never seen anything happen like that before when polishing stuff..!

8573768867_f00bfa3760_z.jpg

Re:

Ive had that before, it's a pain when it happens to an otherwise perfectly shiny polished crown. mine have some pitting on the crown as well which i doubt i'll be able to remove completely but i'll give it a go. i think the superfly would look good with a black crown and it's polished sanction caps anyway, so that's always an option. I will have to see how it goes

sean

Back