Judy DH restoration thread - VERY PIC HEAVY (sorry)

Re:

I've not done it but making a bushing puller also shouldn't be too hard.

It's a sliding metal end on a metal bar. As you pull it creates a T bar You switch ends for the correct bushing length.
Something I've always intended to make just never needed to yet.

I like the sound of a bushing puller. Slightly disappointed its a real thing, and not something you made up! Although I think I'm going to call it a bushing puller outer.

So...a bushing puller outer like this? I can picture this working. I think.

tailshaftpuller.jpg

Thanks for all the tips though everyone, and to ishaw for putting up with countless emails. Can't see me doing a set of these again in a hurry. :?

Re:

Just for reference I was going to get a 30mm diameter thick washer, shave it a gnats fart to make sure it fits on. Then chop the edges of like the official ones so it fits through the bushing. It needs to be loose on the rod.

Then using my Universal Headset Press...aka big washers and threaded rod and some nuts. Use the threaded rod and nut and stick it in and yank out

Re:

Top Top Job!

Wish I had the time a patience to do a restoration like this. I bought some old Judy DH's a couple of years ago with this intension but ended up binning the project and cutting my losses. Also paid £25.
Good work. How did you spray them?

Cheers Dave. Sprayed using good old fashioned aerosol can. The original paint system was Hycote primer and top coat. I'm sure it was the painter rather than the paint, but it was awful stuff. For the second attempt, I used a proper metal-specific primer (I forget the brand), and then Plastikote top coat.

Fluffy, really appreciate that link. On looking, I'm talking about something different than the small upper/lower bushings...there is something lurking in the bottom of the legs. I'll try and get photos this weekend.

Re:

Right at the very bottom, laying at the bottom. Hole in it? Probably black?

If so, then it is a big fat rubber washer... Er I mean bottom out bumper. The stations hit it and protects them if ever needed.

I use a spoke to dislodge it and lift it.

I must have lost track somewhere, I was talking about a bushing service for the damaged stanchion side. They will almost certainly be dead. Well assuming it was in the same side that killed it off.

Re: Re:

Fits your description but 'washer' wouldnt be my description of it. It looks like a bushing, but taller. I wonder if it could be the upper and lower bushings on top of each other that have both slid to the bottom of the leg?

Problem is, if it is the bushings, it means I've lost the bottom out bumper! :LOL:

I'll need to dig it out and have a proper look.

Re:

If it thin like a bushing then its a bushing
The tap washer is literally at the very bottom and the hole is only just big enough for dummy rods to go through.

Bushing proper are at the very top flush with the seal edge.
The lower bushing is part way down. Just line your stanchion wear up to see where it would be. There could be a double bushing at the bottom but not sure if another above the normal one would matter. As far as I'm aware the legs are slightly tapered where the bushings are so pushing the bushing down tightens the bushing up a bit and vice versa.

Back