1960s 'Martyn Young' 531 build

sjcprojects

Orange 🍊 Fan
I'm posting this now in the hope that it will spur me on to actually get this build done, as it has been in the offing for quite a while now. Fingers crossed.

This bike was also the subject of my first ever post on Retrobike over 10 years ago where I attempted to ID the frame, but to no avail, so this is still very much a mystery bike. I very much doubt any more light can be shed on who did build this bike (needless to say the name 'Martyn Young' + 'bike/cycle/frame/etc' comes up with nothing at all on Google). This was also the first retro bike I put some proper miles on - in fact for a short while it was my only road bike.

All I do know is this:

- The frame number (and matching fork number, so that is original) is '223'...yes, not very useful. Would point to a custom job, perhaps? Or a very small frame maker?
- Nervex Professional lugs (possibly customised to some extent?)
- Campagnolo drops
- 27.2 seat-tube
- The frame weighs 1.82kg, so pretty light (unsurprising given the pencil stays, I suppose)
- It's been repainted once before
- I bought it in Doncaster, but this may not be at all relevant, who knows?
- It was lovely to ride 🥲

So, starting from the very beginning this is exactly how it looked when I bought it on eBay back in 2013 (complete with awful saddle and bar angles):

Campagnolo Bike 2013.JPG

Yes, indeed, very tastefully built up, I think all would agree. More vintage road bikes should have purple anodized parts in my opinion. I asked the seller if he knew more about it, and he sent me a few photos of the frame before he built it up which revealed it previously had the name 'Martyn Young':

martyn young 1.jpg.opt690x518o0,0s690x518.jpg

I don't why he took the name off. And no, I have no idea why it has what appears to be a Colnago decal on the fork crown – someone seems to have raided the decal drawer at some point. Anyway, I slowly replaced the bad bits and it eventually end up like this:

P8020051.JPG

As can be seen, I gave it back its rightful name. Certainly a big improvement, although, yes that's not saying much. These days I would do some things differently, but not bad for a first go. And yes, it really is too small for me given that seatpost and stem, but I loved riding it and so it's a keeper. The next part of this story is sadder and will follow shortly...

Last edited:
...and now for the sad part. After a few years as my Sunday best bike, after my winter bike died, for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to use this bike as a winter bike (seeing as it can take mudguards). This was a bad mistake. Even after only two seasons, and despite wiping down reasonably well (at least I thought so at the time, I suppose) after each ride, the frame really suffered.

IMG_0003.JPG

I decided I owed it to this bike to rescue it, and this time do a full period rebuild. In 2021 I took it to a local bike shop (well actually more of just a unit in a massive old works building in Sheffield) who did a respray. They did a decent job although the shot blasting revealed quite a lot of pitting which really they should have smoothed with filler (I presume this is what is done?) or at least asked me about, but never mind. The main tubes are still pretty good, it's most noticeable on the forks.

It is also now a definite darker shade of metallic blue, although I don't really mind that.

IMG_1836.jpg

The next step is to do the lug-lining. I think I'll actually leave the decals until it's built up to help with proper placement.

I do have pretty much all the parts I need already - in fact I bought most of them a few years ago, including a pair of Mavic MA2s on Campagnolo hubs. The rest will be period-correct Campagnolo apart from the brakes which will be Mafac Racer (seeing as there is the cable guide for centre-pulls. Not that I actually like centre-pulls), and the crankset which will be a Stronglight 99 so I can get up some hills without having a hernia. At least, that's the plan.

Speaking of period-correct, I would guess the frame is early 70s based on the cable-routing and the fact that it has gear bosses, although I suppose these could have been added later. Given the fork is original, I would think this would rule out much earlier for this Cinelli-style sloping crown? I'm happy to hear what people think though, because this is entirely guesswork.

To have a frame with a name on, but one that is seemingly totally unknown is a very odd thing. Any theories about that also appeciated.

With pencil stays, Nervex pro lugs it's possibly 60s, be nice when done. Think the bosses are an addition.

Yes, I am beginning to think more towards it being 60s, and that the gear bosses are a later addition. And I know some builders did use the sloping crown style on forks earlier than I would have first guessed, after doing some research, although it is unusual to see them used with a frame with such ornate lugs.

Yes, I am beginning to think more towards it being 60s, and that the gear bosses are a later addition. And I know some builders did use the sloping crown style on forks earlier than I would have first guessed, after doing some research, although it is unusual to see them used with a frame with such ornate lugs.
Nevex pro were mass produced lugs made to look hand cut.

Is that a rear canti cable hanger sticking out at the top of the seat stays?
Rear centre-pull cable hanger, yes. Which is why I’m compelled to use those style of brakes. In its previous life the hanger wasn’t being used but that doesn’t sit well with me now doing a full rebuild.

Back