Martyn Ashton evening

Is there any opportunity to meet him at these events? Wouldn't mind attempting to get a jersey signed if so.

Is there any opportunity to meet him at these events? Wouldn't mind attempting to get a jersey signed if so.

Even if not an official meet and greet, there are always ways. I once met the astronaut, Chris Hadfield, by hobbling at speed across a conference floor when he came off stage after speaking to about a thousand people (I had a broken ankle in a boot at the time and a walking stick). He spotted me clattering across and invited me into the green room where he happily chatted, took a photo with me and autographed my book. A really nice bloke. It's a memory I really treasure.

Fortune favours the bold.

Hanging around the stage door (ask the venue where it is) can often yield results. Try to turn up before they arrive and get them as they go in. If you don't seem like a nutter and there's not loads of people wanting the same, staff at venues can be very helpful.

Minor celebs will sometimes hang around the bar after a talk, performance etc. Offer to buy them a pint, and you may get chatting.

Piquing their interest with a request for someone else can help. Peter Capaldi once recorded a lovely message for my missus - in character as Doctor Who - which referenced her love for gardening by talking about the flora and fauna on Galifrey, and how it needed her help. She was super chuffed for days.

Also be ready ie pen and item ready once they say yes ie no fumbling in rucksack etc. For example, Schwarzenegger is often happy to do selfies on the street, but if you ain't ready he's off. Because if he stops for 30 seconds, there's a queue - and he stops for a minute, his minders now have to deal with a crowd. Probably won't happen with Martyn - but you want to be the first to ask him because once everyone else sees you getting something autographed, they'll be thinking "That's a good idea, let's join in".

Last edited:
Saw him at Exeter last week. Really good at capturing the audience's attention. Wife also commented on the demograph there lol

Back