Marin Pine Mountain - chipped paint and rust

cornishretro

Dirt Disciple
Hi there I'm after some advice from the wisdom of the crowd. I recently purchased a 1992 Marin Pine Mountain, it's a one owner from new, mechanically very sound. The fluro paint on the back stanchions has taken some major damage in the past. Is there anything I can do to spruce this up and protect the frame from further rust, or shall I just leave it? I've seen some awesome complete refurbs on here and might get to that in the future but for now I just want to ride this thing. So any ideas, pictures of bike and damaged stanchion included. 👍

Attachments

• 20220813_072419.jpg
    20220813_072419.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220806_201610.jpg
    20220806_201610.jpg
    934.1 KB · Views: 22
If you want to protect the exposed raw frame, lightly sand it to remove surface rust and apply boiled linseed for rust protection. That's if you want to keep the patina but prevent rust. Other than that you can sand it down to bare and paint it with automotive touch up paints.

You don't.
It's linseed infused with chemicals to make it dry.
Nasty stuff.
Also if memory serves me right, has a tendency to self-ignite if the conditions are right.

Bilt-Hamber Hydrate-80 would probably do the job. Chemically converts existing rust and dries to form a film for more protection.
Steel some nail varnish from the Mrs? Or use some of your own ;)

Boiled linseed is an old school albeit brilliant rust inhibitor, was a staple in the aircraft industry for ages. If you decide to use it, do not get rid of the applicator you use (rags, brushes) in the bin. Let it evaporate for a good while, ideally on a hard cement surface away from everything.

If you can easily get your hands on some rust converter, I am sure it'll do fine and probably be less of a hassle. But I know of a huge crowd of MTB'ers, particularly in the pacific northwest, that swear by BLO

If you use BLO, let it do its thing for at least 24 hours. Probably more, and keep out of rain for a good while.

Last edited:
BLO is also widely used in woodwork.

I think it has a bit of a WD-40 like reputation.
Claims to do everything, but there's always a better alternative for the job.

Very old school though, true.

Latest posts

Back