Marin have gone retro! Well ish

Re: Re:

wookiee":2ora7wzm said:
The tube design is pretty retro by todays standards and the rigid fork....

And apparently 90mm stems "belong in a bygone era" according to one publication.. (to which to be honest, the same assessment probably applies! ;) )

Re: Re:

wookiee":3jr63oui said:
al":3jr63oui said:
Oh I see... the colour.

Does nothing for me, just looks like all the other far eastern built big wheel things these days.

al.

The tube design is pretty retro by todays standards and the rigid fork....

I agree It's nice to see a traditional looking frame theses days and I bet it rides very well... just not my thing.

al.

Re:

Well, apparently, it took Marin 30 years to come up with the 2016 Pine Mountain 1 & 2...

https://www.marinbikes.com/gb

or

https://vimeo.com/136940134

Pine Mountain 1 (with its token frame references t' olden days) appeals to me more just as a pared-down understated rigid bike – I'd put my own drivetrain and bits on it though. Pine Mountain 2, especially, looks like any other modern bike around today. Nothing really special for a 30th.

The geometry is a bit wrong - its designed with a suspension fork in mind forgetting that its running semi-fat tyres. The fork judder could be pretty interesting!

Re:

Marin has had a "retro" model for quite a while. They kept doing the Marin Muirwoods, in steel, rigid fork and 26", until 2012 or thereabouts. It was always on my list as plan B if one of my oldie mtb's ever needs retirement. It was below 500 USD and had all the attachments for racks and mudguards to convert it into a great tourer too, plus v-brakes. It came in a nice black matt which made it pretty classy looking.

Unfortunately someone decided recently to "update" it, so now it has 29" wheels, disks, it's targeted as a family urban bike, and has lost all the useful attachments for a commuter/tourer conversion. Same Kona did with their Smoke a while back. And I predict the same fate, it will disappear from the range soon.

Regarding the Pine Mountain, it's not my thing, but always nice that manufacturers have more models in steel and the option to go rigid on their range. Not everybody wants/needs a suspension fork, be the model retro or not. BSNYC is currently doing a review of it.

Back