Manitou service questions

Inside the fork there is piece of aluminium rather like a washer that divides the lower third of the leg - this is the damper section.
View attachment 669408

This ‘screw’ goes onto the bottom of the damper section with a fibre washer between it and divider. The oil is contained in the lower third and the elastomers sits against the back of the screw.
View attachment 669409
Your previous comments have been helpful because I’d have looked at the fork and puzzled this all out. The fork is filled upside down and at a slight angle so the air can bleed out as you screw the dampener assembly back on.

I have some oil and a pack of fibre washers and as soon as I find the 1/8” ball bearing I will put back together.
Without the upper shaft gland, when the damper is upside down, the oil will flow through the rebound damping channel (those small holes on both sides of seal B in your photo). There must be oil from A to C. And it leaks at C without the shaft gland. Without the oil filling A to C, the oil will start to have air bubbles in it when the damper works, and the the oil becomes foamy -> damper cavitates and does not work.

Last edited:
Without the upper shaft gland, when the damper is upside down, the oil will flow through the rebound damping channel (those small holes on both sides of seal B in your photo). There must be oil from A to C. And it leaks at C without the shaft gland. Without the oil filling A to C, the oil will start to have air bubbles in it when the damper works, and the the oil becomes foamy -> damper cavitates and does not work.
Nothing else came out the fork? That is why I asked initially because it made no sense.

I dont know about the upper part but if you need the 2nd and 3rd stage elastomers (black and orange) in the lower part, let me know!

The black ones are trash...theyre chewing gum already. And I assume the orange ones are for the bin as well and rip apary very easily. I would highly recommend replacing them.

I know the systems you have in your fork. Although I dont really know the fork. Its the same elastomers as in a lot of Manitou EFCs are. I highly recommend replacing them with real oldschool type elastomers. PM me.

I know the systems you have in your fork. Although I dont really know the fork. Its the same elastomers as in a lot of Manitou EFCs are. I highly recommend replacing them with real oldschool type elastomers. PM me.
Will do. I have had the forks from new and don’t remember replacing the elastomers. I may have done but 97 was a long time ago.

I’ll also check the elastomers in SX R I have on my Mount Vision.

Back