Manitou service questions

Nigelpa

Marin Fan
Apologies if answered before and thanks in advance for your help - if you can! I did a search but wanted some advice before I put the forks together and do the same with another similar set.

Manitou SX service questions. I did find the manual but the exploded diagrams are not that helpful. The forks are I think 97 ones that I got the same year fitted to my pine mountain.

I had partially taken the forks apart, cleaned and regressed but felt the rebound was a bit 'soft' - I have now taken them fully apart!

Questions

What oil do I use in here?

4D9A6C7E-F48A-4FE0-813E-D96181E569A0.jpeg

Online someone's suggests 85/150 fork oil?

This fluffy 'washer' was fitted under the silver threaded ‘thing’? Now flat and mangled - what do I need to use to replace it?

9E331BA8-887B-4551-AB71-982847B8344C.jpeg

Does the oil sit between the two sections A to B ? Or does it fill the entire sections - A to C and if so does the 'fluffy' washer (needs replacing?) to keep oil out of the elastomer section? If so should I screw this back with the washer before putting into fork and putting oil in?

6C571DD7-0634-44A5-B7C7-9B864614FEDF.jpeg

What's the sequence to fill with oil?

Now much and what level to fill - how do I know it is enough/correct level?

What's the purpose of the little ball bearing? Just curious because I'll put it back anyway! That's said, what size is it because I just lost the bloody thing when I was putting the forks away safe!!

Elastomers replacement

The elastomers feel good. Is it worth replacing?

This rebound one is a bit soft and the black rebound one on the other leg is also soft - where to get replacements? Is that you @johndeverill

EB3AE80A-8763-408D-A2E7-B6989ECEBC43.jpeg
99D1D666-F4FB-46A7-BB20-4A29CC493CDC.jpeg

Once these are done I have some SX R to do that I think are very similar!

OR - DO I JUST BUY SOMETHING ELSE SLIGHTLY NEWER THAT HAVE BETTER PERFORAMCE!

Attachments

• F05526C4-BFEE-4A77-8535-E39874723E33.jpeg
    F05526C4-BFEE-4A77-8535-E39874723E33.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2
I can't help you with specifics on the fork but hopefully trying to explain the suspension damper may help with some things.

If you think about how the damping works, it relies on oil that can flow though the damper. Imagine it is all at the bottom of the stanchion, so captive in a tube. If you try to compress this oil with the damper completely sealed, the damper will not move as it can't compress or squish the oil. The damper piston will have a hole to allow the oil to pass through it, allowing you to compress the oil, well allow the piston to displace the oil in the tube. How open the hole is defines how fast or slow you can push the piston through the oil.

So to you question about where the oil goes, it will go wherever needed once you fill the form with the correct weight.

The ball bearing is likely to be offering some form of click for an adjuster or to allow something to hold in place with a respective grove or I sent for it. No idea what in your forks though.

Thank you. I was struggling to get my head around the part the oil played and how the adjustment worked.

So the oil fills all parts of the dampener and inside etc. Someone may know the exact weight of oil and refill procedure.

I think the ball bearing was exactly that - it sat at the end of the fork in a recess.

The forks did work ok but were a bit ‘lumpy’ so I suspect the broken washer/seal allowed some leakage.

Thanks. I have that now. Just wanted to see if someone had some practical tips before I proceed.
There is the info about what kind of oil to use, and how to fill.

I have broken few of those damper unit bottom cap seals when screwing the bottom cap, be careful to let air and oil flow out from the bleed hole when installing the cap. Replace all the seals of the damper unit when doing overhaul, they can be obtained from a well equipped hydraulics shop. Be careful not to break anything, especially the damper rod bottom threads are in very thin material, and can easily snap.

Attachments

• IMG_9758.JPEG
    IMG_9758.JPEG
    217.7 KB · Views: 3
Brilliant. Thank you. I am Going to go to the motorist centre later to see if I can get some fox oil and will see what seals they have that might fit. Then I’ll give it a go and refill it!

Brilliant. Thank you. I am Going to go to the motorist centre later to see if I can get some fox oil and will see what seals they have that might fit. Then I’ll give it a go and refill it!
I'm a bit puzzled as in your photo there seems to be no upper seal gland (circled blue in my photo) part 040931, which seals the damper cartridge from the top. According to manual there should be. Without that the damper is not a cartridge damper, and the oil will reach the elastomers. Also you cannot fill the cartridge according to manual (bottom up) as the oil will flow away from the cartridge. If thats the case, you must fill it from top like it would be an open bath damper.

1665238087540.png

Inside the fork there is piece of aluminium rather like a washer that divides the lower third of the leg - this is the damper section.
718858E3-0031-4D5A-AC1F-6FB9BC8FFD53.jpeg

This ‘screw’ goes onto the bottom of the damper section with a fibre washer between it and divider. The oil is contained in the lower third and the elastomers sits against the back of the screw.
C18ECEB7-89D5-4BB5-BADD-F26F60CA485B.jpeg
Your previous comments have been helpful because I’d have looked at the fork and puzzled this all out. The fork is filled upside down and at a slight angle so the air can bleed out as you screw the dampener assembly back on.

I have some oil and a pack of fibre washers and as soon as I find the 1/8” ball bearing I will put back together.

Back