Is my Mag21 working ok? Or it's me?

Fatboy1974

Rocky Mountain Fan
Alpinestars Fan
I bought a really nice unit of mag21 gold stanchions version, and it's installed in my Altitude RM 1995. He was not leaking oil, keeps air nicely, comnpresses, rebound works and has effect, but i find it slow when damping. I put 50-55 psi for my weight ( 88 kg) but it's still slow. I replaced oil, and I put new 5wt oil, 45 mm full compressed from the top. Still the same.

I don't know if it's me that I'm used to modern forks ( Pike, Fox 34, Marzocchi stuff) and technology has evolved so much than the waay my MAG works is the normal one? It's not very slow, but I found it lazy, not returns vively.

Any tip? Should I do a complete disassembly? I hev not done before and I would like to avoid.

Depending on the fork oil you used, 5W or any other 10W, 15W etc, is not an industry standard but an approximation. Somewhere on the oil bottle or the product data sheet will be a viscosity level in Centistokes, Cst or similar. This is the definitive oil viscosity and can vary massively between brands. I have blended different oils previously to reach the desired damping. OEM oil is often cheap and quickly degrading. Difficult to feel without bouncing the forks myself but modern long travel forks will probably have a quicker rebound to regain composure after a hit.

It might be another problem with your forks but the above website shows the expected variations in supposedly the same fork oil viscosity.

Back