Manitou hardtail

pazaudi

Retro Guru
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Seems a bit expensive due to the frame mods not to mention the dent. No wheels either.

Seems a bit expensive due to the frame mods not to mention the dent. No wheels either.

Can I ask - do you see the headset ream and fitting of reducer cups as a reason not to buy?

As I understand it - from a very reputable source - the Manitou headtube is prone to cracking as the headtube had no chamfer to reduce stress and the factory finish made the alu more brittle. Therefore, a chamfer on the headtube, a groove in the reducer/headset cups and you've got a headtube that is way better than original.

Can I ask - do you see the headset ream and fitting of reducer cups as a reason not to buy?

As I understand it - from a very reputable source - the Manitou headtube is prone to cracking as the headtube had no chamfer to reduce stress and the factory finish made the alu more brittle. Therefore, a chamfer on the headtube, a groove in the reducer/headset cups and you've got a headtube that is way better than original.

Nail on the head (tube) 👍

If FTW, DB and Dan Chambers recommend it, then it's hardly a negative.
Having owned maybe 8 manitou HT's (still have 3) and 5 or 6 manitou FS 's I would always choose to run reducer cups if possible.

Back