Manitou 1 elastomers melted inside stanchions!....

Thanks for all the replies men.....when I have time I will reboil them and start scraping!......the bottom third of the lower leg is less important as it just surrounds the elastomers......the top two thirds need to be properly clean to take the lower nylon bush of the upper stanchions, and the threaded recess for the bolt at the very bottom......

Gingernuts.......I bought the forks from eBay. it was advertised as seized and spares only and I had them for spares for the fork on my Yates. They arrived locked solid, and hadn't been well looked after. I undid the bolt enough turns to know they were free from the bottom of the fork with a 5mm hex key on a socket extension, but they would still take my body weight (not inconsiderable!!.... :roll: ) without any compression at all. I eventually freed them by clamping a hub into the dropouts, turning the fork upside down over the corner of a wooden pallet turned end up, and I hammered the legs out with a rubber mallet against the bottom of the brake booster/cable hanger.....it took some welly, and they needed hammering all the way out, but once separated the internals were all fairly tidy, with no corrosion below the upper seals.....the bound elastomers were stuck inside the tubes hence the reason for the op......rebound elastomers came out with the bolts......

The remaining work involves getting the remaining bound elastomer rubber out of fork leg and threads at the bottom of the fork legs......with new elastomers and seals all should be well though, nothing is bent/broken/irreplaceable......they came with a 1" steerer and I'm going to fit them to my clockwork the way things stand.....hope this is of use to you..... :D

I've put another post up if anyone needs new seals....I will order in next few days, bulk buy to save postage if anyone interested....

When I was saying I bought an ultrasonic cleaner some bloke who used to
service bike forks said he had one and I think he said it was the only way
to quickly clean the old elastomers out of fork legs.

Sweet ta mr.
I'm putting it off until I get the right frames to stick them on.
I think mine are both 1" too.
I'd be interested how they look on a clockwork too they'll be a nice break from the norm.

Back