Manitou 1 Rebuild Question

gtturbo

Senior Retro Guru
It's been about 30 years since I last touched a Manitou 1 so please excuse the question. I have just fitted some fresh elasomers in mine and notice if you bounce them and from where they settle you can then if you pull the lowers get them to extend about 1.5cm further. On the picture below the tape was applied in the rest position and you can see when I pull down on the lowers how much further they move. I'm thinking this is perhaps normal. When on the bike and underload if anything there will be a bit of sag but its annoying me so wanted to check its normal. Both bolts are tight and I really must start rebuilding elastomers forks on the bike. I'm no light weight but struggled with both these and the Pace I did recently to compress them enough for the bolts to engage.

2nd question the wiper seal is a bit knackered. Does anywhere do replacements ?.

Thanks in advance.

20220618_192858.jpg

John Deverill has them on eBay here. Can't remember what his user name is here! 🤦‍♂️

Have you added the top rebound elastomer inside the fork stanchion before reassembly?
The elastomer is about 12mm so might account for being able to move it like that?

B13ED60D-0B7A-4801-BB14-17B86A4E0B0B.jpeg.jpg

Manitou 1 Manual Page 3.jpg
Cheers
boy"O"boy

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks boy"O"boy. Yes the rebound elastomer and washer are inside the stanchion as mentioned. Seems a bit strange but maybe it's normal. I guess we will see when I put it back on the bike. As it stands I need to change the wipers so it will have to come apart again at some stage anyway.

Thanks
Mark

I need to do mine as well at some point, so thanks for the above. I need some original metal top caps for the stanchions/crown as well, if anyone has any going.

Back