Macretro fat camp

So my last post on her was back in Sept '19 with me at 98kg, where I stayed right through lockdown! Combination of short rides, too much time sitting still and not giving a crap about what I was eating. Worst weight I say was over 100kg, but thankfully only a one off. Fast forward to February this year and my blood pressure meds had to be upped and I ended up in out of hours one Sunday with a swollen ankle and the start of cellulitis in my shin. Got a really good doctor who took time to go over my last blood result and the link to them and what I was eating. Was basically if I kept going like that I was heading for a whole load of diabetic complications very quickly. Even now there's no knowing what long term damage I've done so far. Whole day was a bit of a wake up call and I went for a radical overhaul of my diet. Bye bye carbs.

When I was diagnosed 20 odd years ago the thinking was that carbs aren't the enemy, you just need enough insulin to deal with what you're eating. Current thinking has changed a lot, but I hadn't. So from that day I've been on a severely reduced carb diet. Well actually it's not a diet anymore, it's just how I eat. No bread, pasta, rice, noodles, potatoes or treats and very little fruit. Ok, I say none but in reality I still have some occasionally, I just have to be careful with how much and timing. Only starchy carbs I have regularly is a bowl of porridge in the morning. Veg intake is way up and a lot more varied as it's easy to get bored of the same thing. Getting very familiar with different ways to do cauliflower as this is a good substitute for carbs as it fills you up.

So far the change has been remarkable. Since that day in March I've lost 10kg and now 89kg. Night time insulin dose is down 40% and daytime doses are down 60%. I've also stopped the extra tablet diabetic medication I'd been on for the last year. Had my bloods done last month and my consultant was astonished. Long term control marker has improved by 10% and my cholesterol and blood lipids have dropped hugely even though my fat intake has probably gone up. Pretty much all the things the OOH doc had predicted.

Can feel the difference in my riding and even though it's not seeming a lot easier, Strava times are definitely showing an improvement. Need to start riding more with other people again, it's too easy to sack off when you're out on your own. Chasing Keith and Kenny last weekend was hard work but good fun. Not there yet and still have a way to go, my current target is 85kg which I think will be a long haul but really happy so far.

That's good news Clubby, its quite amazing what a change in eating habits can do, and its essentially free!

I'm now around 78-80kg, at Xmas I was 70-72kg mainly due to fairly similar low carb eating from September to December.
Then the usual xmas feasting started and didn't stop!
I joined Mrs Jimo when she started on the "Fast 800" plan by Dr Michael Moseley at the start of this year, which also has low carbs (and only 800 calories a day!!) , but personally I felt I needed more food than that each day! I found it didn't really help me tbh, so I've recently gone back to eating low carbs but not low calories.
Cauliflower mash tastes pretty good, and celeriac chips are also pretty good.

Funnily enough Jimo, it’s celeriac chips to go with the road chicken tonight!
I’ve been using the Fast 800 recipes as well, just not the full plan. For me they’ve been a good way of dropping the carbs but in meals we’ll all eat. Been cooking the same meals for the family but I’ll do rice or pasta for the other two and alternatives for myself.
Getting out of the toast and sandwich habit was the worst at first, but now used having to be organised for lunches. Spring was easy as it was soup weather but now it’s salad days.

Nice work - glad that it's going well.
A few years back I tried an anti-inflammatory diet - which also happens to be kinda low carb-is.
The theory is by eating more anti-inflammatory food, the aches and niggles from training don't hurt as much - therefore you train longer and harder. I also ate pretty much as much as I wanted - and with the riding - lost weight.
You may well already be eating anti-inflam already and obviously avoiding pro-inflam (bread, tatties etc) but it may give a twist to your diet that helps with the riding.
Keep up the good work 🙏

Well done Clubby, that’s great progress, must be an eye opener for sure. I thought you looked trimmer ladt

2 years ago I was nearly 18stone, started getting bother with my knees etc. Between physio, podiatrist and then starting with a PT has made a huge difference.

now under 100kg (just) which I thinks around the 15 stone odd, much fitter and feel better for it.

still eat pretty much what I like but just limit the treat and munch days. Def don’t drink as much alcohol which helps.

we are still doing PT and yoga, but rather than HIIT and cardio we do weight training which is great and a learning experience.

So my last post on her was back in Sept '19 with me at 98kg, where I stayed right through lockdown! Combination of short rides, too much time sitting still and not giving a crap about what I was eating. Worst weight I say was over 100kg, but thankfully only a one off. Fast forward to February this year and my blood pressure meds had to be upped and I ended up in out of hours one Sunday with a swollen ankle and the start of cellulitis in my shin. Got a really good doctor who took time to go over my last blood result and the link to them and what I was eating. Was basically if I kept going like that I was heading for a whole load of diabetic complications very quickly. Even now there's no knowing what long term damage I've done so far. Whole day was a bit of a wake up call and I went for a radical overhaul of my diet. Bye bye carbs.

When I was diagnosed 20 odd years ago the thinking was that carbs aren't the enemy, you just need enough insulin to deal with what you're eating. Current thinking has changed a lot, but I hadn't. So from that day I've been on a severely reduced carb diet. Well actually it's not a diet anymore, it's just how I eat. No bread, pasta, rice, noodles, potatoes or treats and very little fruit. Ok, I say none but in reality I still have some occasionally, I just have to be careful with how much and timing. Only starchy carbs I have regularly is a bowl of porridge in the morning. Veg intake is way up and a lot more varied as it's easy to get bored of the same thing. Getting very familiar with different ways to do cauliflower as this is a good substitute for carbs as it fills you up.

So far the change has been remarkable. Since that day in March I've lost 10kg and now 89kg. Night time insulin dose is down 40% and daytime doses are down 60%. I've also stopped the extra tablet diabetic medication I'd been on for the last year. Had my bloods done last month and my consultant was astonished. Long term control marker has improved by 10% and my cholesterol and blood lipids have dropped hugely even though my fat intake has probably gone up. Pretty much all the things the OOH doc had predicted.

Can feel the difference in my riding and even though it's not seeming a lot easier, Strava times are definitely showing an improvement. Need to start riding more with other people again, it's too easy to sack off when you're out on your own. Chasing Keith and Kenny last weekend was hard work but good fun. Not there yet and still have a way to go, my current target is 85kg which I think will be a long haul but really happy so far.
Clubby what actually is your body running on then?

There are carbs within other foods - so you should be able to get enough carbs from the other food you eat, without specifically eating carbs

Clubby what actually is your body running on then?

So you’re no dead yet then? 😀 Nice to see you back.

To a certain extent I’m living off myself at the moment. Body using up my (ample) fat reserves. Good months riding in June and now at 87.5kg.

There are carbs within other foods - so you should be able to get enough carbs from the other food you eat, without specifically eating carbs

You’re right but also wrong. 😉 Yes there are carbs in foods other than starchy or sweet foods but small amounts unless you are eating big (and I mean big) portions. With veg it’s difficult to eat enough to matter as it’s so filling. Fruit is more sugar dense, which is why I don’t eat much of it these days.

The scientific answer to Rob’s question is complicated. The body’s doesn’t need you to eat carbs as it can make glucose from other foods in a process called gluconeogenesis. Think of lions or other big cats. They live solely on meat but have the same basic metabolic systems as we do.
In my case I still have some starchy carbs but only about 50-70 grams a day. The rest of my energy needs come from protein and fats, including my own. From this my body makes the glucose that the cells use to make ATP, which is the end fuel the body uses.

Back