Lotus Aerotrope Mountain Bike for Sale

penny_farthing

Retro Newbie
A little piece of Mountain Biking History

Between 1992 and 1994 The Lotus Aerotrope MB was designed by Christopher Hornzee-jones and manufactured for Lotus Cycles by S P Systems, Southern California, USA.

Only 450 cycles were made and less than 100 were sold worldwide, with only a handful going to the UK, the rest going to factory employees.

The cycle that was once the forerunner in technology and leading up to the development of the Olympic gold medal winning design of Chris Boardman's bike in the 1990's is now available for you to own.

This is one of those very rare opportunities for you to own an Aerotrope Lotus Mountain Bike, which in it's day was a revolutionary design and still continues to turn heads.
bike_002.jpg

Info Links
http://www.aerotrope.com/bike02.html
http://www.aerotrope.com/profile.html

Sadly after many years my friend has decided it's time to let this extremely rare bike go.

This is one of those opportunities not to be missed, unfortunately we had no idea where else to sell this other than on the world stage that is eBay.

Also we could not think of a better way of letting people know about this fabulous opportunity other than going direct to you via these brilliant forums.

We apologise in advance i it is felt that this is not appropriate for these forums and will gladly remove upon request.

We simply did not know where or how to inform the masses of such a unique sale other than going directly to the forums of our fellow mountain bike enthusiasts.

For more information on the sale please click link below:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOTUS-AEROTRO...|66:2|39:2|72:1683|240:1318|301:1|293:1|29424

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If you're selling it, it needs a price. If you're advertising your ebay auction then it's in the wrong forum.

I know this for a fact, as I used to mend TVs two shops down from the bike shop who used to run the website.

penny_farthing":394oxgyx said:
A little piece of Mountain Biking History

Between 1992 and 1994 The Lotus Aerotrope MB was designed by Christopher Hornzee-jones and manufactured for Lotus Cycles by S P Systems, Southern California, USA.

<snip>

The cycle that was once the forerunner in technology and leading up to the development of the Olympic gold medal winning design of Chris Boardman's bike in the 1990's is now available for you to own.

Just a comment on timing accuracy, Chris Boardman won his gold at Barcelona 1992, so it probably led to the development of the MTB rather than the other way round.

boardman-cycling.jpg

"Eee, this bike is right grand but it make a crackin' mountain bike"

Sorry to monopolise this, but you've got me thinking.

penny_farthing":1zm3rddw said:
Only 450 cycles were made and less than 100 were sold worldwide, with only a handful going to the UK, the rest going to factory employees.

What happened to the other 350? I can't work out which are the more rare, the 350 that are sitting around a warehouse somewhere unused, or the smaller number of 100 that were sold?

Perhaps they were so nervous of their manufacuring quality that they had to maintain a ratio of 3.5:1 for warranty repairs?

Yours seems to have lasted the test of time okay, particularly as it seems to have been ridden by a team of riders. How cool would that be at Mountain Mayhem - Retrobikers ride one bike, just like Boardman's.

The guys at Hotta engineering made the retail bike and they worked on the mountain bike version .... use to bug them like mad when i was 16

brocklanders023":2n3k8xok said:
Dave_H":2n3k8xok said:
I know this for a fact, as I used to mend TVs two shops down from the bike shop who used to run the website.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;) :cool:

Yes that made me chuckle as well, though in fairness this might be a bit more acurately described. :)

Back