Looking for info LH SPECIAL GLOUCESTER

Re:

It appears to be a bike wheel in the logo with writing through it , the old chap said his friend at the time that was into cycling said he should buy the bike as it was a high end light weight frame ! His wife used to use it .

Gloucester is the old Roman city of Glevium and even today the town centre is still dominated by its Roman street plan laid out with four city gates North/South/East and Westgate street, I think you can make out enough of the remaining to suggest it was perhaps East or Westgate street (the spacing suggest a four letter word)

Here is my guess

The Y lower down is part of a Cycles and the line below at the very bottom hints at being Gloucester

Eastgate
Cycles
Gloucester

As has already been mentioned the largest retailer in or bikes we have ever had is T G Halls who sadly went in the early 1980’s and were also in Eastgate Street - coincidence? or fanciful thinking

Attachments

• 9B4A32D9-77D9-4F08-905B-D11427DE2C28.jpeg
    9B4A32D9-77D9-4F08-905B-D11427DE2C28.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 196
Could be but space the words out both North and South have one too many characters (I think to fit in the space) which leads me to think East or West

As I l’ve written above we have - even in my dads memory (born in 1946) only ever had one major bike shop in Gloucester

Re:

There is an Eastgate cycles but I wonder if it was around in the 50’s ? Maybe Keith would know ? All very interesting

Re:

He’s your probably right , will be very hard to replicate the logos without finding its origin but I doubt there will be another pic anywhere , atleast with yours and Keith’s help we may have uncovered something , makes me want to keep hold of this one, I think you could be right on it being a hand built frame, I guess it’s been built up into what it is rather than the frame and forks starting out life as this bike , I wonder.

Could be one to do the Eroica on one day !

Re: Re:

Carbonmtb":160i36cr said:
There is an Eastgate cycles but I wonder if it was around in the 50’s ? Maybe Keith would know ? All very interesting

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... 3c6e989ae1

And so dominate were TG Hall that even today FourTY (edit) years after shutting down they still hold and award the TG Hall cup at my local cycle club . Shame Mr Hall is not alive today as he’d know for sure where yours came from

https://www.gloscitycc.co.uk/project/t- ... bman-year/

Re:

Wow that’s really interesting ! I wonder if Hall is something to do with the H in the LH special ?

Might email steel vintage and see if they have ever seen anything ?

Forget about Eastgate Cycles they are a recent and welcomed addition to the high street and by all accounts in the same shop that TG Hall opened up back at the turn of the century before he expanded across the road !

Back