Look MI80 . First ride out page 6

Chaps thanks for your responses its really refreshing to speak to fellow riders/owners who have an interest in a bike, that like I've said has been a treasured ride since owning. I can assure you that its my winter bike and gets a regular thrashing, especially now with only a single gear - so they all should last forever.........as i said its a 16" which as i'm 5'6" makes it a great size, but above that its just got something that other bikes don't maybe is the flex in the rear seatstays or in the triple butt tubing but it never fails to be just what you need it to be, ok a little heavy compared to modern alu and some steel bikes but thats just makes you fitter.

Sith'y thanks for bringing the Velo mag review to the fore it was a very intersting read and I can say that they were pretty spot on on most points. Things that weren't either good at the beginning or would be eventually replaced, in my own experience were! Seeing the bike in its original glory in the review is great javascript:emoticon(':D') that black was super sharp. Hence my reason to respray in recent times.

Especially the 1st to go were the Bullet shifters which if these were loaded in a gun it would be like playing russian roulette every time you merely looked at your side arm - trully awful and totally let the rear and front mech's down, which when paired up with Campag's thumbshifters were dreamy and made the shimano's of the time seem like clunky, monsters.

One main point as you so rightly raise: what is the frame material? Carbon? sadly not! its the same Triple butted Cro-mo as your Mi80 and damn I wish i'd kept the range broucher as from memory the only difference was the groupset and the paint. But in some ways I'm glad its not carbon as it wouldn't be the bike it is...or have lasted.

From my memory the bikes were imported by Peugeot, I can ask Mike the shop owner (although the shop sadly closed many mooons ago) I'm sure he will still remember and may still have other gems of information.

I always throught the compag groupset was called compaQ but I'm can't rememeber were I got that from as there are no model ref's actaully placed on the components, this differs from the velo article listing as olympus and they're probably correct for the same above reason.

I've still got the original wheels ritchey vantage rims laced with S/S spokes to Compag hubs and thats perhaps something to add to the Campagnola thread is that they just go on and on and on, servicing them needs no special tools (ok a little improvisation reqiured), but I can imagine its the same feeling an owner of a classic car gets, when certain things are just built to last.

I even had the LOOK team kit cycling kit that went with the range (black with white animal slashes) sadly this I'm sure ended in the bin :shock: Probaly for the best, but I may be able to find a photo.

Yes more photos are avialiable plus I can add the photos of the Compag stuff I did sell (I am right the best way is to cut and paste the photo into the text - please help)

Would it also be of interest if I also added more photos of the REDUX version, as i've aptly named it?

I'll also have a scout round the garage on the weekend see if there aren't any other bits that I could donate to those of you who are trying to keep it super original

Ok that's it i'm exhusted, all this reminiscing - Cheers Chaps

Resurrecting this thread as this frame is now in my posession.

I have a whole stash of Mavic and Campag parts waiting to go on it but still missing brake levers, chainset, front mech and 36H rims before I go the whole hog.

So for now till be building up as full M732/3 with black Ateks, Flite and an LX front mech to tide me over and get a feel of how it rides. Parts all come from my Karakoram which I stripped to build it into a hack for my sister.

Re:

Reviving a very old thread here as coming back to Retrobike due to picking up a 'stored from new' LOOK Mi80 tomorrow, can't wait :)

This thread contains more than all the other information available on this bike on the entire internet (that I can find anyway!) so I'm very pleased it exists! Hopefully I can add something to it myself.. pretty pictures if nothing else!

Back