LOOK Cyclocross frame? It's like an Mi80!

I think the discussion about cross vs. hybrid is moot. There is something about this frame that is just not right. I mean I get the feeling looking at it that it is not a high end race bike. Are their serial number markings? I wonder if we can find a match for a peugeot frame. My gut tells me it's a fake.

Wow, no love for the mysterious LOOK frame around here!

First of all, it's not a fake. I can clearly see where the original LOOK decals used to be located but it's impossible to capture on camera. Second, all the details are identical to the LOOK Mi80. Have a look at this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Look-mi80-ret ... 7675.l2557

The cable routing, seatpost clamp, pearl white color, mitered, internally brazed joints are all identical. It even has the same headset.

Here's a shot of the serial number. And here's a reference indicating that the serial numbers were indeed located on the seat tube, that they begin with two letters, the first being A, followed by 5 numbers: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=282564

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,167
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Sizzle-Chest":h6sf0x20 said:
I've located what seems to be a LOOK cyclocross frame, very similar to the Mi80, but I cannot find a single reference to one anywhere

Sizzle-Chest":h6sf0x20 said:
But, if you have actual information about a LOOK hybrid/city bike or any proof that one even exists I would be glad to hear it!

So you can't find any info on a cyclocross frame, but insist it is, yet when others 'suggest' it may be a hybrid you want proof?

Anyway, back to the hunt, have you tried contacting Look with the serial number?

TSC.":22lyetes said:
Sizzle-Chest":22lyetes said:
I've located what seems to be a LOOK cyclocross frame, very similar to the Mi80, but I cannot find a single reference to one anywhere

Sizzle-Chest":22lyetes said:
But, if you have actual information about a LOOK hybrid/city bike or any proof that one even exists I would be glad to hear it!

So you can't find any info on a cyclocross frame, but insist it is, yet when others 'suggest' it may be a hybrid you want proof?

Anyway, back to the hunt, have you tried contacting Look with the serial number?

I'm not apposed to the idea it's a hybrid, but I would prefer some evidence other than bottle and fender mounts. So far, I have more reasons to believe it's a cross frame.

Not sure who I would contact at LOOK about an old frame but it might be worth a try.

Re:

Definitely worth a shot contacting Look, somebody there should be able to point you in the right direction.

The first picture (albeit partially cropped) clearly has flat bars and v-brakes. A quick search found
a 700c hipster fixie type thing similar to this called Look MI-50 on LFGSS for £70.

Woz":22q4lila said:
The first picture (albeit partially cropped) clearly has flat bars and v-brakes. A quick search found
a 700c hipster fixie type thing similar to this called Look MI-50 on LFGSS for £70.

Thank you so much, I finally have a model number!

Yes, I cropped the first photo because it had a ridiculous set of bullhorns on it, the guy I bought it from said he built it as an SS from the frame up so nothing was original except the headset.

Not much info about the Mi-50 though I did find this nice example, built as a CYCLOCROSS bike.

Attachments

• Capture2622-20130321-150206.jpg
    Capture2622-20130321-150206.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 1,126
I stand corrected. The yellow rig above definitely looks good, though the post needs to be about 2" higher for the photo :twisted:

Okay so now that we have established it is a look, what are your plans for it?

Re:

Glad to help. Usual payment to the Swiss bank account please.

Worth noting though, the one on LFGSS as a bizarre geometry different to yours. I would
guess this is from the early 90s during the heady experimentation periods and birth of mass
produced low / mid-end bikes. That does not mean to say it's crap by any means, but would make a
good cheap gravel grinder / practical do it all type of thing which are fashionable at the moment.

It's best to mock build this in road version initially and simply see how it looks and handles. If the reach
with drop bars is too long with say a 100mm stem, then it's most certainly designed for
flat bars. Believe me here, as I'm constantly fiddling with CX, Audax tourers, hybrids, cross-overs,
monster crossers, and drop-bar MTBs (which sound easy, but aren't).

I'll follow this to see how it turns out. Curious to see what width tyre you can ram up it's rear end.

Probably an idea to ask a moderator to move this to the road section then ;)

I also noticed the geometry differences with that one on LFGSS, not sure what to say. I started building this one up (picture in process) with cross components for exactly the purpose you suggested: do-all-gravel-commuter etc . . . rides and handles okay, I'm not bowled over, but the jury is still out regarding fit.

I'll see about having this moved to road forum and update with progress pics. Thanks again!

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 1,110
Back