Loch Katrine Loop

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Or lack thereof rather being the point.
On another forum, the Loch Katrine loop was proposed as a nice day out, and that it is.
But it isnt exactly a loop as it doesnt go all the way around the loch, and cant be completed. You go one way then return back the way you came.
I asked if anyone has tried to do the overland part back to the ferry terminus and someone said they had about 10 years ago, but have sworn as it was so mind boggling difficult, they would never do it again.

Knowing MacRetros propensity of going on jaunts where at least a section, sometimes a large section involves walking and clambering through terrain, does anyone fancy making such an attempt at forging a path or route back to the beginning. I've been sent some pics and it does look particularly gnarly, and I thought that would be just the jaunt MacRetro riders would be used to.

I reckon it would take a fair bit of planning and possible reconnoitering at that section of the Loch, and just going off and doing it without such could possibly end in failure. It might even take several trips and several routes to find something feasible.
Unfortunately I'm a bit disabled walking hills and glens, but with the new ebike, i reckon i could ride it, if it was a reasonable route.

They, whoever they are, really do not want you to do a loop of Loch Katrine without deviating miles from the actual Loch. Been looking on the net and every reference seems to not talk about the south side of the Loch. However using Arial photography there is definitely a track suitable for a landrover for at least two third of the southern shore so I reckon only a couple of miles might be hike a bike. Most of the circuit says gravel bike to me more than full on mtb.
Certainly an interesting idea Andy.

They, whoever they are, really do not want you to do a loop of Loch Katrine without deviating miles from the actual Loch. Been looking on the net and every reference seems to not talk about the south side of the Loch. However using Arial photography there is definitely a track suitable for a landrover for at least two third of the southern shore so I reckon only a couple of miles might be hike a bike. Most of the circuit says gravel bike to me more than full on mtb.
Certainly an interesting idea Andy.
Righto. Here's the photos I've been sent showing the route, such as that is.

But I feel the chap who did it tried to take as direct a route as possible, in the shortest distance, given the limited time he had.
So for such a route to be planned it would of course need to be explored and it is also more than likely thatmultiple directions would have to be tried , then dismissed if found not to be suitable, and another route tried.
I'm speculating that to attempt such, you'd need to put a week aside, camp the area, which looks no more than 5 or so miles, and would involve a bit of walking/exploring and camping to understand the geography of the area you mean to cycle through.
Furthermore, I think the route if it could be forged might mean a meandering jaunt, maybe even doubling back on yourself and maybe even doubling(or more) the total mileage to be able to get through without too high a degree of climbing or walking or even carrying the bike. It would be the ideal to find the route as one which can be completed wholly on the bike and without the problems I've just mentioned.

You would be able to name that route as your own, signpost it, and release it online for other cyclists and walkers to complete the journey from pier and back to pier.
Once people start to walk such a route, the path becomes more and more set, and people on it might deviate slightly to make that route more accessible. Travellers have a habit of finding better A-B once they're actually walking on it.

I would like to be involved in such an undertaking, but unfortunately I cannot really walk anymore. My Achilles tendon is in such a state now that walking any distance is pretty painful, and hills for me at least trying to push or carry a bike are a non starter. All I can do to get about is cycle, which is why I'd like any forged route to be wholly on the bike and not off it.

I think tools would be a requirement, and its highly likely something akin to planks would maybe needed, at least judging from the above pics, to be able to ford across small burns that would otherwise block an easier route

Last edited:
its highly likely something akin to planks would maybe needed, at least judging from the above pics, to be able to ford across small burns that would otherwise block an easier route

This is why I wear sandals and wool socks. No need for bridges or planks. Feet dry quickly. :)

Sounds like the sort of route I love. It's not really a proper ride without a bit of hike-a-bike.

I've just (re)joined Retrobike, having once been a member goodness knows how many years ago; couldn't even recall my moniker!

When there was the discussion on this Lock Katrine on singletrackworld forum I PM'd my flickr gallery to @dyna-ti stating 'I don't like sharing my Flickr albums publicly' and without my prior permission it gets shared here? 🙄

Anyway, aside from that I'm a firm believer that some things should not be and this talk of taking up tools and planks, etc., is nonsense; either ride the land as is or leave it alone - changing the landscape like that is the stuff of trail centres. Just my opinion, to which we are all entitled.

True enough Mr Tanglefoot, if it can't be done without messing with it then leave it undone. Sorry your Flickr got shared, I don't think Dyna meant to go against your wishes, I think he just got caught up in the moment.
Magnificent photos though, anything I try to picture often ends with my thumb in the picture.

Righto, removed said links.
this talk of taking up tools and planks, etc., is nonsense; either ride the land as is or leave it alone - changing the landscape like that is the stuff of trail centres.
wasnt really thinking about changing the 50 million year old landscape other than maybe a plank to help cross a burn,which might otherwise make a route unridable or prevent anyone from riding it at all. which has been done for millennia but putting a tree or such across it,
I've a fubar tendon, and cant walk, or jump, or scramble across rocks carrying a bike or put any sort of strain on it as its too painful,and at risk of rupturing so my thoughts were about creating a route.
But its all pure speculation, and probably never happen.
Just thought it was such a load of nonsense that the loops isnt really a loop and you can only ride 3/4 of it before having to turn around and ride back.

Sorry about posting said link, I honestly didnt think you'd mind, but I know now and its as said been removed. I'll also delete the message you sent so you can retain full privacy to your flikr pics - done that now.

Sorry about posting said link, I honestly didnt think you'd mind, but I know now and its as said been removed. I'll also delete the message you sent so you can retain full privacy to your flikr pics - done that now.

It's more the fact that you posted it here without prior permission that irked me; you just told me you were doing it and assumed I wouldn't mind. I always link to individual images anonymously when I share them.

I've a fubar tendon, and cant walk, or jump, or scramble across rocks carrying a bike or put any sort of strain on it as its too painful,and at risk of rupturing so my thoughts were about creating a route.

You'd be well and truly fubared carrying an ebike up or down the bealach then; this was ten years ago and I'm now in my fifties and lots of things hurt more and more - before and after a bike ride!

Latest posts

Back