Lengthening a KMC z8 chain

frkl

Retro Guru
I switched a derailleur on a bike and need to lengthen the chain a bit. It's a KMC z8 and has lots of life left in it. Can the chain be safely lengthened using some extra z8 chain i have and one of the normal pins already on the chain? I would then use a missing link to connect it back together.

I have used KMC chains that come with the pin attachment (ie without the missing link), but is this pin special, akin to a Shimano Hyperglide replacement pin?

Otherwise i could splice the chain with two missing links I guess...

I know chains are cheap, but this one is basically new and i would be interested in knowing if this is generally possible, in case I ever needed to lengthen a newly bought chain.

If you are lengthening a chain then I’d only be happy if I lengthened it using a new connector link either side of the bit you are putting in.

If you just try to reconnect it by pushing links out then in it will seriously weaken the chain and each time I’ve tried that method it’s eventually broken…

So for piece of mind, I would only do this as described above, with a new connecting link either side of the extra links you’re inserting…

Otherwise, buy another chain….

👍

Thanks, i have never done it exactly for this reason, but thought i would finally ask.

I will just get a new one and give the short one a good cleaning and store it for the future.

I've done exactly what you were thinking with exactly the same chain ...
Trust me it doesn't end well 😂
Sorry to hear that. On the bulk packaged chain without the missing link, the connection pin is black, not silver like the rest, so I had guessed it was somehow different.

Sorry to hear that. On the bulk packaged chain without the missing link, the connection pin is black, not silver like the rest, so I had guessed it was somehow different.
Ah ! Might work then but I wouldn't advise putting a new section of chain into a used chain by pushing out pins then winding back in . Old school chains you'd get away with it.My experiment was using up the offcuts as it were...🤪 Cheapskate style!

Ah ! Might work then but I wouldn't advise putting a new section of chain into a used chain by pushing out pins then winding back in . Old school chains you'd get away with it.My experiment was using up the offcuts as it were...🤪 Cheapskate style!
What I was thinking wasn't quite that extreme.

The chain, as I said, is basically new, and the one bit I would reattach may very well have originally been part of the chain. So not like creating a patchwork quilt of chain :)

It's not about the cost (these chains are only 10 euro) but the idea of just replacing the chain seem like a huge waste of resources and metal.

But whatever...will save the chain for another project and splurge on a replacement. :)

Back