Ferrule issue

escuta

Dirt Disciple
Dear forum,

I bought an flexible stainless steel cable casing for my rear derailleur. At the derailleur end it fits nicely, but it lacks the necessary step to enter the diver's bell cable guide on the chain stay. Consequently it puts a bad kink in the cable when mounted.

This is the casing (i'm bending it for no good reason):

1699720317172.png

and this is one of the aluminium stepped furrules that fits 4mm gear cable casing and enters securely in the chain-stay guide:

1699720452015.png

The end of the stainless casing with its ferrule does not however fit into this 4mm ferrule. So I could track a stepped 5mm version - but it looks like I'll need to import one from overseas (i can't find one here).

Would it be safe for me to remove (yank off) the ferrule on the stainless casing in order to use my stepped aluminium ferrule? Or will the casing unravel like a spring?!

If anyone has experience with these things, please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If the stainless casing is 4mm then the answers to your questions are yes and no.
Yes, you can take the existing ferrule off one end of your casing, but do it carefully (or cut it off) - don't 'yank' it off.
No, the casing won't unravel - unless you try yanking off the ferrule.
When diver's helmet stops started to become more common we used to do it a lot.

If the stainless casing is 4mm then the answers to your questions are yes and no.
Yes, you can take the existing ferrule off one end of your casing, but do it carefully (or cut it off) - don't 'yank' it off.
No, the casing won't unravel - unless you try yanking off the ferrule.
When diver's helmet stops started to become more common we used to do it a lot.

Thanks. Yes, it seems to be 4mm. I have brake cable/casing shears to cut it with - but did you remove the ferrule by twisting it?

Latest posts

Back