Lance Armstrong interview on tv

Having read three "expose" cycling books in the past year or so I was in little doubt that Lance had used performance enhancing drugs. It was also fairly clear from the books that Lance might not be a particularly nice guy.

He no doubt did a lot for charity and you can't take that away from him, but for threatening and intimidating those that threatened to expose him and to keep up the denials for so long I don't think he has any place in any sport ever again.

Others like Millar, Landis and Hamilton fairly quickly moved towards admission and may have a place in helping sort out how and where it all went wrong and preventing it happening again. You'll never stamp out cheating, there will always be new ways to do it and those that are willing to exploit them. But it would be a lot better if it were the exception, rather that the "80% of the peloton" rule of the 90s.

Racing Through the Dark by David Millar

Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage

From Lance to Landis: Inside the American Doping Controversy at the Tour de France by David Walsh

And I've just started reading:

The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs

xerxes":1qyhxbm0 said:
Others like Millar, Landis and Hamilton fairly quickly moved towards admission and may have a place in helping sort out how and where it all went wrong and preventing it happening again.

I wouldn't count on Landis, unless he's changed his tune - he's quoted in David Millar's book as saying something along the lines of "the sport is broken, and I'm not sure it's up to me to fix it".

David

Latest posts

Back