Konfused Kona - 1999 Kona Caldera

The 29er wheel and the semi fat wheel made for very floppy steering.

The semi fat wheel by todays standards was also incredibly heavy

A slightly lower AtoC fork would have helped but already at 425mm AtoC its pushing things to get a 29er wheel in a 410mm fork.

The forks that came on the bike originally were only 65mm travel so a 425mm fork, by the book, is too long without raising it further with a larger diameter wheel.

Re:

Can I ask, what's the thinking behind the inner tube just below the seat clamp? It looks very purposeful, which makes it cool, but I can't figure out what the purpose is.

Re:

Hi Max it's a piece of 23mm tube cut and stretched over the ST extension to help keep dirt and water out of the ST. A dab of grease packs the slot then this sits over the top.

Probably more use on a frame with a rear facing slot but I do this on several of my steel frames.

Seems to work. :mrgreen:

Re:

It is amazing that anything gets in between, considering that tubes/posts go inn increments of 0.2mm..

But it finds a way

Mike

Re:

Cool, looks neat, might give it a go on my newly acquired voodoo Wanga that I'm building. Would it not be even better to stretch a piece of inner tube right over the clamp and up the seat tube, so the whole opening is protected, providing you don't need access to a Q/r, say if you had a dropper post?

Back