Kona P2 Titanium - 1 1/8 - 147mm - Germany

Well...lovely to see a pair for all the obvious reasons. With a short steerer it severely limits the market making the price questionable...until you remember these hardly ever come up. Never forget the steerer was made from a solid piece of titanium. Absolutely mental.

Nice fork but you can get a full Ti frame new for that price.
And if you went from China you could nearly get two. Kleinanzeigen is full of chancers, I'll pop round later and remind them of the battle of Bulge. Get him down to a more rational 400.

To level the “you could get a whole Ti frame for that” argument at the P2s is no different to the ubiquitous “you could get a car for that” statement, that most of us field on the regular from non-bike types..

You could indeed get a new Ti frame for that price - or a dodgy car, for that matter.. but then you wouldn’t get to own one of the rarest and most sought after Kona parts ever made.

Now, maybe you’re into Ti Konas or maybe you aren’t, but for those that are, rarity comes at a price - and I reckon someone will happily pay it for these.

To level the “you could get a whole Ti frame for that” argument at the P2s is no different to the ubiquitous “you could get a car for that” statement, that most of us field on the regular from non-bike types..

You could indeed get a new Ti frame for that price - or a dodgy car, for that matter.. but then you wouldn’t get to own one of the rarest and most sought after Kona parts ever made.

Now, maybe you’re into Ti Konas or maybe you aren’t, but for those that are, rarity comes at a price - and I reckon someone will happily pay it for these.
I am sorry, but this price is absurd.

Rarity comes at a price, but it's not 1500. 500 to 700 seems fair dependent on condition. People need to stop indulging chancers who have no use for the fork but realised its sought after and therefor decided to put the price high enough for them to get a Ti frameset 🤪

I get your point, but it has nothing to do with intrinsic value. A very rare fork with legendary status in its day so enevitably desirable to collectors (and apparently extortionate to non collectors)
There’s also a lot of unseen work gone into it, it’s a cut above most Ti forks. They knew what it took to make a durable, reliable Ti fork - presumably why so few attempted it. It was always going to be extremely expensive to make, and is incomparable to today’s Chinese offerings which are just a bunch of welded 3/2.5 tubes of indeterminate provenance.

I get your point, but it has nothing to do with intrinsic value. A very rare fork with legendary status in its day so enevitably desirable to collectors (and apparently extortionate to non collectors)
There’s also a lot of unseen work gone into it, it’s a cut above most Ti forks. Back then they knew what it took to make a durable, reliable Ti fork - presumably why so few attempted it. It was always going to be extremely expensive to make, and is incomparable to today’s Chinese offerings which are just a bunch of welded 3/2.5 tubes of indeterminate provenance.
It is the nicest ti fork i have seen, and there aren't many. I have to agree with Imlach, 500 is plenty

Back