KONA KU 1996 "STARS AND BARS"

al you are absolutly right about that - frame was sold in 98 and the discount wasn't that bad - as I can see on the receipt. ;)

Dont know if you followed my thread about the 3 Ku's, all our frames been bought in 97/98 from that particular LBS in Vienna. That company was also the offical Kona importer for Austria in that years and my guess is, that they ordered the frames maybe by mistake or in a higher quantity as supposed, or they had to order them, as a part of special deal with Kona. In the end the selling price was a bit to high and the frames hung arround in the shop for some times, until they decide to reduce the price, as a kind of clear out.

Standard business, as BITD nobody expected, that this frames would be highly desireable. :)

Re:

al-onestare":1x9hwmxe said:
Ok, so I could be misunderstanding the receipt but this was a 96 (listed as a 97) frame bought in 98. So I'm guessing there was a nice cheeky discount. Plus it was kitted out with 98 XTR which is a nice idea. That would look pretty stealth like. Was it bought to order or bought as a result of an order falling through? As hen's teeth go, it's great how this came about and ended up in your lap.

Time line wise yeah I guess you are right mate.. i know all manufacturers always promote new item/designs as the following year. Looking on the archive{ catalogue 1996} it shows a Hot with this livery.. Purchase history as per receipt.. dont know if it was old stock/just hanging/special order???

Frame number is very long though K09606058..K096 is the year I presume..cant see 6058 Ku's :shock: being made...has anyone any idea to the numbering??

As always any info or advice great fully received :D

Ernie ;)

magas":3jsz5919 said:
al you are absolutly right about that - frame was sold in 98 and the discount wasn't that bad - as I can see on the receipt. ;)

Dont know if you followed my thread about the 3 Ku's, all our frames been bought in 97/98 from that particular LBS in Vienna. That company was also the offical Kona importer for Austria in that years and my guess is, that they ordered the frames maybe by mistake or in a higher quantity as supposed, or they had to order them, as a part of special deal with Kona. In the end the selling price was a bit to high and the frames hung arround in the shop for some times, until they decide to reduce the price, as a kind of clear out.

Standard business, as BITD nobody expected, that this frames would be highly desireable. :)

:oops: thanks Martin for your input ;) ...i was typing away at the time ;)

Ernie ;)

Re:

Just to see what its like..a couple of "skeleton" shots ;)

Ernie ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1260.JPG
    IMG_1260.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 410
All excellent info gents, thank you. I wonder if the rogue "6" indicates a Ku because 58 Ku's would be a more realistic number. Who made the Ku's and where in 96?

al-onestare":3omlsy1s said:
All excellent info gents, thank you. I wonder if the rogue "6" indicates a Ku because 58 Ku's would be a more realistic number. Who made the Ku's and where in 96?

Where is Anthony when "we" need his profound knowledge :cool:

Ernie ;)

Re:

I would be also interested to know how many "Kona Custom" bikes had been made in 96.

ernie mate, looking good with that tyres - are they Maxxis ?

Re: Re:

magas":113gwtm8 said:
I would be also interested to know how many "Kona Custom" bikes had been made in 96.

ernie mate, looking good with that tyres - are they Maxxis ?

:shock: yes they are well spotted :D

Ernie ;)

I had a set of those tyres (with dryed and hardened walls). Gave them away for a Karma.

Did recognize them from the very distinctive decals ;)

Back