KONA KU STARS N BARS 1996

Belated feedback. It's really great to see a unicorn be in the hands of someone who really, really wants it. It gives all of us hope that the same thing might happen to us!

How does it ride and how does it compare to top-end Kona's of the same era?

It's your bike and I'm really glad it's been done to your tastes. For me, the fork detracts from the schema and the black post and slightly ugly saddle don't look too good with the silver front end. If it's going to be a rider, then the S&S tyres should make way for something that works but I'm pretty sure you know that ;)

al-onestare":3el9596w said:
Belated feedback. It's really great to see a unicorn be in the hands of someone who really, really wants it. It gives all of us hope that the same thing might happen to us!

It's your bike and I'm really glad it's been done to your tastes. For me, the fork detracts from the schema and the black post and slightly ugly saddle don't look too good with the silver front end. If it's going to be a rider, then the S&S tyres should make way for something that works but I'm pretty sure you know that ;)

Thanks mate..

All feedback taken in good faith.. rides very well not as flexi as steel but we all know that{only had 2 riders due to work commitments :roll: }..but yes very happy..seat wise..got one on every bike..find these really comfy..seat post ,see what you mean..yeah have got a nice ritchey one as a recommend from pipmeister..Tyres..i would only venture on a very dry day single track/shingle :LOL: posing only :LOL: ..still on the look out for a front :roll:
The fork again something different..overall very happy
thanks again bud..what you searching for recently???
Ernie ;)

ernie":1d6mf623 said:
al-onestare":1d6mf623 said:

Thanks mate..

All feedback taken in good faith.. rides very well not as flexi as steel but we all know that{only had 2 riders due to work commitments :roll: }..but yes very happy..seat wise..got one on every bike..find these really comfy..seat post ,see what you mean..yeah have got a nice ritchey one as a recommend from pipmeister..Tyres..i would only venture on a very dry day single track/shingle :LOL: posing only :LOL: ..still on the look out for a front :roll:
Ernie ;)

Nice one. I'm curious if there's any difference with a 97 Kula or any with Easton aluminium. Were there are differences?

My list? Same old same old:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=310259&start=30

:facepalm:

al-onestare":2hmx2651 said:
I'm curious if there's any difference with a 97 Kula or any with Easton aluminium. Were there are differences?

I'm sure that Ernie won't object to me stepping in here.... It's probably true to say that I have a broad breadth of experience with riding Kona aluminium frames.

Last August I bought a fine example of the same '96 Ku frame as Ernie, but only in a single colour :roll:

I also have a 2001 Kula - Easton Taperwall Main Tubes with Kona Triple Butted Stays in 18”.

Then there's my 2001 Pahoehoe with the same tubing, but in 19" and set up with Disc brakes.

Finally there is my 2003 Kula Primo Scandium, SC Lite Butted Wall Aluminium Team Issue in 18" - IMO, the best aluminium frame ever produced, :cool:.

In answer to your question, I would say that the Custom Ku has a slightly livelier feel compared to my 2001 Kula, probably due to the lighter rear triangle. As both bikes are not set up like for like, the more lively feel is about all I can currently say regarding a direct comparison.

Perhaps I shouldn't compare my 2003 Kula Primo as it is not Retro, but this season coming, I can give the comparison a proper try.

Hope that helps a bit ;)

Pip.

al-onestare":2m5tjenl said:
ernie":2m5tjenl said:
al-onestare":2m5tjenl said:

Thanks mate..

Ernie ;)

Nice one. I'm curious if there's any difference with a 97 Kula or any with Easton aluminium. Were there are differences?

My list? Same old same old:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=310259&start=30

:facepalm:

Al... To be honest i have only ever ridden a marin nail trail and kona... I know some of our fellow "retro brethren" have ridden a number of different mtb's i have been a retro junkie kona on and of until 2010.. I cant comment on other makes( all of which have a great retro following)
I am 47 and enjoy riding my kona's( some colleagues have motorbikes or sport classic cars)
There are members on here who have raced locally, county standard.. I am a middle aged bloke who loves my bikes

Thanks
Ernie

Latest posts

Back